Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Catalytic Converter question

Richt2705

Corvette
2001 Torch Red Coupe
Hi all,
Need some help. Had a check engine light on, I was told it was probably the Catalytic Converter. I was able to clear the check engine light that was on, and I went for a sticker.

I got a fail on emissions, and was going to replace the Converter.

I was looking at this Magnaflow Catalytic Converter.

Magnaflow 93988 at AutoAnything

Being a noob with his first Vette, and not much of a Mechanic myself..I had a couple questions.

If I buy the part I linked, is that all I need? I cant seem to tell from that part no matter where I look, exactly what is included...or if I need more than the one?

Sorry if it's a silly question, and thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer. I don't want to buy the wrong thing, or only get one if I actually need 2, that kind of thing.

If someone told you it was "probably" the cats then you flunked an emissions test, bad cats are a good guess but, before plucking down 400 bucks for parts along with the labor to install them, I think I'd want to know more.

What code was set?

Also, since codes were cleared, has the MIL come on, again?

IF it's the cats, Random Tech. makes good high flow for less than OEM.

Was a code retrieved from the vehicle? :w

Yes there was a code that I cleared. I didn't write it down, but from memory it was a PMC-10 and had a 104 in it Im pretty sure...I know that's not much help as it's not exact...it went by pretty quick, and I was following directions as to how to clear it..and I didnt jot it down. Thought Id be all set after clearing it.

The light has come on twice now, so I will get the exact full number the next time it comes on, Im sure it will in the next day or so.

Appreicate the response.

Even if the light was reset it could fail if the monitors have'nt run/set. Cat codes are po420/430 etc. :beer

If someone told you it was "probably" the cats then you flunked an emissions test, bad cats are a good guess but, before plucking down 400 bucks for parts along with the labor to install them, I think I'd want to know more.

What code was set?

Also, since codes were cleared, has the MIL come on, again?

Yeah, I got the car from a dealer. And he informed me that the check engine light had come on, and they cleared it. He said that going by the code, I'd probably be needing new Cats.

They gave me such a great deal on this with the high tradein they gave me for my previous car, 4 new tires and rotors on the Vette that they said they werent going to put any more money into it..which I understood. I got a good price on the Vette as it was for a 2001 with 60K miles on it.

I didnt mind taking it and fixing whatever comes up.

I took it home and didnt see the engine light for about 2 days. Once it came up I cleared it. It went about another 2 days, and it came on again. I cleared it once more, and that's when I went to get the sticker..so Im sure it will come on again in the next day or so.

Once it does, I will post the exact number. I feel like a boob not having the exact number, should have jotted it down.

Thanks

Edit: Is there a way for me to grab the code without waiting for the light to come on again? Or by clearing it am I out of luck until it happens again?

Yeah, I got the car from a dealer. And he informed me that the check engine light had come on, and they cleared it. He said that going by the code, I'd probably be needing new Cats.

They gave me such a great deal on this with the high tradein they gave me for my previous car, 4 new tires and rotors on the Vette that they said they werent going to put any more money into it..which I understood. I got a good price on the Vette as it was for a 2001 with 60K miles on it.

I took it home and didnt see the engine light for about 2 days. Once it came up I cleared it. It went about another 2 days, and it came on again. I cleared it once more, and that's when I went to get the sticker..so Im sure it will come on again in the next day or so.

This is an unusual way for a dealer to handle the sale of a car in a state with an emissions test.

I think I'd be darn sure of what code was set before I began a DIY repair. It's possible, but unlikely, that they fooled you into taking a car off their hands which has a lot of problems.

Once it does, I will post the exact number. I feel like a boob not having the exact number, should have jotted it down.

Edit: Is there a way for me to grab the code without waiting for the light to come on again? Or by clearing it am I out of luck until it happens again?

You'll have to wait and see if the code sets, again.

The codes for bad cats are P0420 and P0430. If you see other numbers, you should diagnose those using the factory service manual before you buy any big-ticket parts.

Good luck!!

The codes for bad cats are P0420 and P0430. If you see other numbers, you should diagnose those using the factory service manual before you buy any big-ticket parts.

Good luck!!

Thanks for the reply, soon as I see that code again Ill jot it down, and see if it matches those numbers.

If it does turn out to be the Cats, would the part I linked cover the replacement? Would I need to purchase anything more than what is shown, or would that be what I want.

I'm not very knowledgeable, or gifted when it comes to fixing cars. :D

I am not familiar with Mass polution or vehicle sales laws, but in most NE states a dealer would not be able to sell a car with an emission issue, especially cats. Do you have an emissions inspection in your state? If so, I would go right back to the dealer and make him repair the car. You may even still be under the GM warranty if it is the cats, I thnk cats are 10 years or 100K, but you should check all of that out before you start messing with it.

HI there,

Catalytic converters are warranted for 8 years/ 80000 miles, whichever comes first.

Random tech cats cause just as many check engine lights as bad cats do. This is because they are smalled and do not have the converting power of the OEM.

There are plenty of aftermarket websites that have OEM equivilant catalysts for less money than OEM.

USE AN OEM EQUAL, and you will not have a reoccurance.

Also, OEM equals are covered for 5 years or 50000 miles.

Allthebest, c4c5

Thanks

Your selling dealer should have the check engine light code in his files, it will be on the used car inspection and repair order. If he doesn't have, it or cannot retrieve it for any reason, I would start being very suspicious. You stated that you failed emissions, normally your failed emissions print out has the OBD 2 code printed on it to let you know why you failed. Good luck with it.

If it does turn out to be the Cats, would the part I linked cover the replacement? Would I need to purchase anything more than what is shown, or would that be what I want.

I can't tell you any more about the set of Magnaflow cats other than what's listed on that web page. The exhaust replacement process on a C5 is pretty straight forward as long as you have a way to lift and support the car, have basic DIY mechanical skills and the right tools. If you can meet those requirements, it should be a relatively easy DIY job.

The only other thing I'd do, if the car has more than 100,000 miles on it, is replace both the front oxygen sensors. I think Denso makes the best replacement O2Ses but stock GM will do.

I'm not very knowledgeable, or gifted when it comes to fixing cars. :D

Well...you're here on CAC to ask questions and learn. Hopefully, CAC members have been helpful in this situation.

HI there,

Catalytic converters are warranted for 8 years/ 80000 miles, whichever comes first.

Random tech cats cause just as many check engine lights as bad cats do. This is because they are smalled and do not have the converting power of the OEM.

There are plenty of aftermarket websites that have OEM equivilant catalysts for less money than OEM.

USE AN OEM EQUAL, and you will not have a reoccurance.

Also, OEM equals are covered for 5 years or 50000 miles.

Allthebest, c4c5

Paul is right on (as usual)...aftermarket "high flow" cats WILL cause problems!

What happens is the converter has a side effect of "averaging" the wide swing of the front O2 sensor. As a result the rear O2 produces a much much smaller voltage "swing" than the front one does. The ECM (or PCM or whatever) monitors the rear O2 sensor, and if the voltage range falls out of a preset voltage window...poof you get a "catalytic efficiency" code. This is exactly what happens with "high flow" cats...because of the higher flow they are not quite as efficient as OEM, and that rear O2 sensor triggers the code.

Been there done that...not on a Vette but the scheme is the same.

This is an unusual way for a dealer to handle the sale of a car in a state with an emissions test.

Well, they mentioned it before we signed the deal. I took the car knowing I might have to replace it. I did get them to throw new tires all around and replace the rotors..so I don't ming fixing this myself.

I think I'd be darn sure of what code was set before I began a DIY repair. It's possible, but unlikely, that they fooled you into taking a car off their hands which has a lot of problems.

Light came on again last night and I got the code.
It is a 10-PCM P0430 H C

So it does appear to be the Catalytic Converter by those codes. Would that Magnaflow Product I linked in the opening cover what I need as far as parts?
Or is there any "fine print" that a non mechanic like myself might be missing that I would have to get to make it work?

Getting my parts together this week to get the Vette in the shop next week hopefully.

Thanks all for the help.

Rich

The exhaust replacement process on a C5 is pretty straight forward as long as you have a way to lift and support the car, have basic DIY mechanical skills and the right tools. If you can meet those requirements, it should be a relatively easy DIY job.

Hehe, for some of you guys I'm sure it is...me..Im all thumbs when it comes to this sort of thing. If anyone has a Computer Problem, I'm great with those...but car repairs...Im terrible lol.
I'll be paying my local mechanic to install this.

The only other thing I'd do, if the car has more than 100,000 miles on it, is replace both the front oxygen sensors. I think Denso makes the best replacement O2Ses but stock GM will do.

The car has 66K miles on it at the moment, but Ill keep my eyes open for a good deal on those sensors in the near future, and replace them if needed as well. Thanks for the heads up.

Well...you're here on CAC to ask questions and learn. Hopefully, CAC members have been helpful in this situation.

Yes, you guys here have been great help so far, and I appreciate it.
This is my first Vette.... finally!! Yeah!

I'm glad to have found a resource such as this!

Thanks!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom