Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Cats coming apart

Rookie Vette owner

Corvette
1973 Blue Coupe
One of the catalytic converters on my 97 is rattling and I'm looking for replacement solutions. Will the H-pipe off of a 03 Z06 be a direct replacement or would I need the exhaust manifolds from the Z06 also? Are the O2 sensors in the same place? I know that there is a difference between the 97-00 and the 01-04, just not sure to what extent they change.;shrug

HI there,
You would need the manifolds as well.
Outlet location is the key here.
o2 sensor locations are close to being the same, so thats not an issue.
Allthebest, c4c5

One of the catalytic converters on my 97 is rattling and I'm looking for replacement solutions. Will the H-pipe off of a 03 Z06 be a direct replacement or would I need the exhaust manifolds from the Z06 also? Are the O2 sensors in the same place? I know that there is a difference between the 97-00 and the 01-04, just not sure to what extent they change.;shrug

Is that the sound I hear when I'm backing out of my driveway? It sounds like a bunch of small ball bearings in a coffee can. If the cat's are coming apart is there any chance of damage or blockage of the exhaust? - Ron

Is that the sound I hear when I'm backing out of my driveway? It sounds like a bunch of small ball bearings in a coffee can. If the cat's are coming apart is there any chance of damage or blockage of the exhaust? - Ron
HI there,
NO, that is a normal driveline sound.
Allthebest, c4c5

Thanks for the info about the need for the manifolds.

The rattling sound I have is more related to applying lite throttle while at 35-45 mph. If you let off, it goes away, but returns as soon as you hit the pedal. I thought it was a loose heat shield at first but the mechanic at the dealer said it was the cat.

HI there,
YOu can obtain OEM replacement converters that are just as good as GM for a bit less money.
Simply type "OEM catalytic converter" into any search engine.
Allthebest, c4c5

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom