Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

CD Changer alternative

S

Steve Calvin

I ran across these somewhere and checked into 'em. I ordered one yesterday. :) They are IPODS that with an optional FM transmitter accessory, you can play wireless over any FM radio. The one that I got says that it'll hold 10,000 songs and supports quite a few options for catagorizing the music. The beauty of it is that it'll work in any car, house, anywhere that has an FM receiver. And no, I'm not affiliated with then in any way.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?family=iPod

The best thing you can do to your Corvette's audio system after purchasing an iPod (which ROCKs, BTW!), is to buy an auxiliary port adapter, like the Aux-POD (about $189) from Pacific Accessory Corporation, http://www.pac-audio.com. You'll also need their ABGM-10 wiring harness (~$10). Then have a professional installer mount the Aux-POD box behind your stereo, and run the iPod connector cable into your center console. This way, you have line-out audio running into your head unit's CD input (sounds much better than an FM transmitter), your iPod gets charged while it's plugged in, and you can control the iPod with forward/reverse from your head unit. If you want to keep your CD changer, have the installer put a switch in the console that allows you to toggle between the iPod and the changer.

I would go for the hard wire vs. FM radio receiver.

Without looking into the details of this product I would assume you have to find a FM channel that is not in use in your area for reception. What happens if some Ricer pulls-up beside you that is using that same frequency? You would cancel out each other or dogfight for the channel. If you travel much then you would have to keep searching for unused channels as you change geographic areas and markets.

Being located in the Northeastern US you will find it hard to locate unused frequencies.

I currently use an iRock FM transmitter in my Vette. The reception is ok at best. I typically use it when I travel in a car without a cassette deck, and usually when travelling to see my parents in Indiana. I have to change the station 3 times during that trip... annoying. I also need to keep my hand near it or else I get a lot of static.

However, the cost differential is astonishing. $30 for the FM trasmitter, or $189 for the hardwire kit... hmmmm. Since I'm one of those Corvette owners that spent all the cash to buy the car, I think I'll stick with the cheaper solution for now and buy all the gas I need to cruise :D

I'm seriously thinking about one of the hardwire solutions. Personally I would pick up the adapter at http://ipod2car.com. If God forbid I ever get rid of the Vette, I can transfer that adapter to most other cars.

Thanks for the input guys. I got the accessories in the mail yesterday but the IPOD is still in transit. I'll try it on the FM and see how it does. As for the frequencies that it transmits, they are in the area of the band (lower) that really isn't used much at all.

I got it for multiple reasons. We hunt in some rather remote areas where getting any music is impossible and I can take this anywhere and we can have some music in camp at night, etc...

Plus for the Vette. If the FM seems to be poor in quality then I'll probably spring for hardwire kit once I get the Vette that I want. Hopefully in the spring I'll be able to find a blue (gotta be blue) C5-Z51 with active handling and hud. Once I have that, I'll start mods.

I may, or not.. I don't know yet. The freekin' IPOD is still sitting in China of all places waiting to ship. Apple's not replying to emails about it either.

In any event, I'm not a real "audiophile". My hearing is not all that sharp any more. I think that it may have something to do with playing in a rock band when I was younger, or maybe it was the fishing with pipe bombs? ;)

(we didn't know any better back in the 60's and 70's)

ok, got the ipod and loaded it up with 1.5gig of music which is about a day and a half's worth. Still have 38.5 gig left so I doubt if I'll ever fill that sucker up but I can always use is as an extention of my laptop hard drive.

Anyhow, I also got an accessory that plugs into the cig. lighter and ipod with an FM transmitter. I'd heard bad things about the FM transmitter but I've come to the conclusion that the bad reviews were probably for the unpowered one because I used mine on Friday for a 4 hour trip in the Vette and it was great. The first channel that I had the transmitter tuned to had some static on it but then I switched to a different one and it really worked well for the whole trip.

Just thought that I'd update the thread with my impressions. Glad that I got it! :)

With my MP3 setup, I first tried the FM modulator connection method. I didn't have a problem with finding an unused area of the dial to get a clean signal either.
But what I didnt' like was the fidelity. It sounded no better than... well... an FM radio station. The direct connection method solved this problem for me.

But, I'm known for being a bit too picky :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom