Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! cd stuck in c5 12 disk changer

kmjprof

Corvette
1999 convertable flame red
I can hear the changer in my trunk grinding away. I removed the cd holder and on cd is missing, must be stuck in the unit. The first problem I had was when selecting tape a display "err" came up after a short while. I removed the disk holder and replaced it, also removed the fuse and replaced it. Now when I press tape nothing happens.

Welcome to CAC! :w I have moved your thread to C5 General, where it will get better exposure to your needs. Being C5 related this will. more than likely, get someone who has experienced the problem and be able to offer advice.

Yeah, I had a similar problem in my '04; one of the disks in the changer magazine somehow got jammed in the internal workings of the change unit. I think if you're too quick on the buttons to switch to a different disk, the changer mechanism is prone to jamming; at least that's my empirical read on how mine wound up in that state.

Here's a forum thread that talks generally about some of the problems and solutions with the CD changer; in the thread some folks recommend a repairman (Doctor Don) if all else fails.

In my case I decided to open up the CD changer myself (I figured I had nothing to lose, assuming it might ultimately be headed to Doctor Don...) and managed to free the jammed disk; the disk was all chewed up and won't play properly any longer, but the CD changer was restored to full operation -- at least for the time being. If you're uncomfortable with the idea of opening up the CD changer unit, you can probably have the good doctor repair it for you. Removing it from the trunk isn't too hard; four screws and one or two electrical connector harnesses, as a recall. The main difficulty is working in the confined space where the unit resides, hunched over the back of the car...

Good luck!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom