Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

change oil sensor

George H. Williams III

Gone but not forgotten
Corvette
1994 Polo Green Convertable
Greetings from the land of pleasant living
Question: recently my "change oil" indicator light came on. Oil was changed in early January and I have put 2-3 thousand miles on her. The question is what does the chip ( I assume it's a computer evaluatin) "read" to give the indication i.e. time, engine revolutions, oil flow etc.
Thanks, George

I've had this happen to me right after an oil change..

and in the manual it says it reads all sorts of things, but I think it mainly reads time or mileage elapsed since the sensor was last reset. You have to reset the sensor each time you have an oil change - I don't remember the exact procedure, but I'm sure someone here does. It's simple... turn the key on, hold in a button for five seconds..I'll check my manual later if someone with a better memory has not answered you by then!

I think....

With key on/engine offf
push Eng/Met twice
press and hold Gauges button.
The change oil light will flash.
Keep holding until it stops flashing and goes out.

-Mike

Folks,
I understand how to re-set the change oil sensor. My questions is what actually does the sensor measure to activate; i.e milage since last change, engine revolutions, temperature, etc.
Thanks, George

Your manual will tell you it senses all of the above...

But like I said, it seems to be mainly a time elapsed since the sensor was last reset, or maybe engine revolutions since sensor last reset. I have had it go off right after an oil change, and if you reset it it does not go off again, which leads me to believe there was nothing wrong with my oil viscosity, etc., or it would go off again.

Where's Rabbit? He knows everything!!!

From what I understand, it does not actually sense the oil. That is why if you do not reset it, it can come on right after an oil change.

The system tries to figure, based on engine and oil temp, RPMs, time, etc, at what point the oil should be replaced.

Since it can not actually sense the oil, that is why you must reset the system manually.

I hope that helps a little.
Mike

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom