Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Changing rear diff fluid?

80convertible

Corvette
1973 converted to 1980 custom convertible
I need to change the diff fluid. What all is involved in doing so? I would prefer to remove the cover to make sure I drain all the old fluid. My 80 has a 73 rear diff. Can I remove the cover without major disassembly of other components?

Regards,

Jim

S

SwaveDave

Jim,

It is my understanding you cannot remove the cover without having to remove some of the rear suspension. What i do, is, take it to like a Jiffy Lube place where they can vaccuum it all o ut using a metal wand device . I then have them pour in some special synthetic fluid with posi fluid thru a piece of plastic hose till its full.

Dave

80convertible

Corvette
1973 converted to 1980 custom convertible
SwaveDave,

Not a bad idea! What type of synthetic fluid do you use?

Regards,

Jim

S

SwaveDave

Jim, I use all synthetic fluids in my Vette by AMSOIL . Im running 20w50 racing synthetic oil in the engine at $8 per qt. , Synthetic auto trans fluid for the P.S., synthetic gear lube 75w140 for the gearbox and same for the rear end with posi additive from GM.

Did a motor buildup last winter...the engine was clean as a whistle.

www.amsoil.com For $25 per year., y ou can become a 'Dealer' which allows you to buy at a discount.

Dave.

pasvorto

I just bought a cheap "suction pump" at Auto Zone. It emptied all the old fluid out just fine. Put in 2 units of posi fluid and filled the rest with "official" GM differential fluid. Went pretty smootly.

Vette79

Corvette
1979 L-48 Black Coupe
I just bought a cheap "suction pump" at Auto Zone. It emptied all the old fluid out just fine. Put in 2 units of posi fluid and filled the rest with "official" GM differential fluid. Went pretty smootly.
Buy a suction pump and remove old fluid. Then refill with synthetic to drain plug as mentioned above.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Parts/Accessories:

Vetteskins

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Partners

Top Bottom