Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Changing rear diff fluid?

80convertible

Corvette
1973 converted to 1980 custom convertible
I need to change the diff fluid. What all is involved in doing so? I would prefer to remove the cover to make sure I drain all the old fluid. My 80 has a 73 rear diff. Can I remove the cover without major disassembly of other components?

Regards,

Jim

Jim,

It is my understanding you cannot remove the cover without having to remove some of the rear suspension. What i do, is, take it to like a Jiffy Lube place where they can vaccuum it all o ut using a metal wand device . I then have them pour in some special synthetic fluid with posi fluid thru a piece of plastic hose till its full.

Dave

SwaveDave,

Not a bad idea! What type of synthetic fluid do you use?

Regards,

Jim

Jim, I use all synthetic fluids in my Vette by AMSOIL . Im running 20w50 racing synthetic oil in the engine at $8 per qt. , Synthetic auto trans fluid for the P.S., synthetic gear lube 75w140 for the gearbox and same for the rear end with posi additive from GM.

Did a motor buildup last winter...the engine was clean as a whistle.

www.amsoil.com For $25 per year., y ou can become a 'Dealer' which allows you to buy at a discount.

Dave.

I just bought a cheap "suction pump" at Auto Zone. It emptied all the old fluid out just fine. Put in 2 units of posi fluid and filled the rest with "official" GM differential fluid. Went pretty smootly.

I just bought a cheap "suction pump" at Auto Zone. It emptied all the old fluid out just fine. Put in 2 units of posi fluid and filled the rest with "official" GM differential fluid. Went pretty smootly.
Buy a suction pump and remove old fluid. Then refill with synthetic to drain plug as mentioned above.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom