Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Check engine light flashing

Corvette
none right now :(
I have a '96 LT4 coupe.

My check engine soon light started to flash today on my way to work... it did it for maybe 15 seconds, then when steady. (it is usually on anyway) The car was running perfectly fine, and continued to do so all the way to work... all guages read normal (volts, oil pressure, oil temp, coolant temp) the car was still pretty cool, right at 158 degrees.

The only other time it has flashed is right before I ran out of gas (don't even ask... the gauge didn't read empty :mad ) .

I just filled up yesterday... could it be bad gas? or junk in the tank? I let the car go unusually low before I filled up yesterday.

Any other Ideas, or anyone have any similar problems? I don't have an OBDII reader, nor do I know someone who does (other than a shop).

Vettelt193 said:
I have a '96 LT4 coupe.

My check engine soon light started to flash today on my way to work... it did it for maybe 15 seconds, then when steady. (it is usually on anyway) The car was running perfectly fine, and continued to do so all the way to work... all guages read normal (volts, oil pressure, oil temp, coolant temp) the car was still pretty cool, right at 158 degrees.

The only other time it has flashed is right before I ran out of gas (don't even ask... the gauge didn't read empty :mad ) .

I just filled up yesterday... could it be bad gas? or junk in the tank? I let the car go unusually low before I filled up yesterday.

Any other Ideas, or anyone have any similar problems? I don't have an OBDII reader, nor do I know someone who does (other than a shop).

Pull into an Autozone and take advantage of the free scan. At least you'll have a code to reference which may give you a clue to the problem.

Just curious...What do you mean by the SES is usually on anyway? Do you just ignore it most of the time?

I'm taking mine in this Fri to have the SES light and subsequent problem corrected. The light is slowly eating away at my sanity! Not to mention...I've got the SYS flashing all the time. (stereo install/resistors)

I have the SYS appt on Sat.:(

I'm in idiot light hell!

JEFNLSA said:
Pull into an Autozone and take advantage of the free scan. At least you'll have a code to reference which may give you a clue to the problem.

Just curious...What do you mean by the SES is usually on anyway? Do you just ignore it most of the time?

I'm taking mine in this Fri to have the SES light and subsequent problem corrected. The light is slowly eating away at my sanity! Not to mention...I've got the SYS flashing all the time. (stereo install/resistors)

I have the SYS appt on Sat.:(

I'm in idiot light hell!

I have yet to own a corvette with an SES light that doesn't come on:( It has just become normal for me

Vettelt193 said:
I have yet to own a corvette with an SES light that doesn't come on:( It has just become normal for me

Good to know.
Sometimes I wish they were an option that I didn't have. :L

"Free" computer scans...

tlong said:
Auto parts store will read it for free.

STAY AWAY from those monkeys! All they can do is plug in a scan tool (and half the time they don't even know how to do THAT!), and just pull codes. From the sound of this, it's an intermittent fault (which won't flag a code), and you may waste time (and money) chasing ghosts. I gave up on the "discount" chains years ago, due in no small part to lazy, uninformed and some downright stupid people in those places.
Find a GOOD tech, who's familiar with Corvettes, and when you do, SUPPORT him/her with your business.

Remember... you get what you pay for!

AdvancedAutoCC said:
STAY AWAY from those monkeys! All they can do is plug in a scan tool (and half the time they don't even know how to do THAT!), and just pull codes. From the sound of this, it's an intermittent fault (which won't flag a code), and you may waste time (and money) chasing ghosts. I gave up on the "discount" chains years ago, due in no small part to lazy, uninformed and some downright stupid people in those places.
Find a GOOD tech, who's familiar with Corvettes, and when you do, SUPPORT him/her with your business.

Remember... you get what you pay for!

I found a good tech, that i have supported for years, but he lives 300+ miles away from me now. I need to find a good one in tallahassee:)

Vettelt193 said:
I found a good tech, that i have supported for years, but he lives 300+ miles away from me now. I need to find a good one in tallahassee:)

I could help you out, but I don't think you'd want to pay the road call fee :L

(sorry, couldn't resist!)

Vettelt193 said:
Wow. I have seen mine, but rarely.

Why don't you reset the ECM and see if anything changes?:w

WhalePirot said:
Wow. I have seen mine, but rarely.

Why don't you reset the ECM and see if anything changes?:w

That is the plan for the weekend... it may actually go away this time. I re-pluggged in the 1-4 skip shift connector to see if that is where the code is coming from.... i just unplugged without the bypass before. My SES light does shut off from now and then, but seems to re-activate itself

Must be the Corvette Gremlins running in your system. Maybe something has started going wrong and it is the preliminary stage of a failure. I had my SES go away after replacing all O2 sensors. Never saw it again. And in a way I miss it. Hushhhh don't tell my Corvette hear that, okay boys and girls?

Cheers,

Selim

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom