Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

check engine light

eddonjan

Corvette
1991 black soft top
91 vett check engine light comes on gos off comes on gos off should i be worried?

Depending on your climate change, it could be something as minor as the o2 sensors sending signals to the ecm that it's reading the exhaust gasses being adjusted. Easiest thing to do is just run a code scan.

Growing up my dads solution to the check engine light was to put a piece of electrical tape over it :eyerole

My 93 does the same thing. When I check the code it is always H43 which is for the knock sensor. If the knock sensor was really reading a knock the ecm would go into limp home mode but it never does. This has been going on for over 4 years now. As near as I can tell it is temperature and or moisture sensitive to when it happens. You can run the codes to see if you have any. :bang

When you say comes on goes off do you mean while your driving. Or just when you start out it comes ont then goes off and stays off.

My 93 does the same thing. When I check the code it is always H43 which is for the knock sensor. If the knock sensor was really reading a knock the ecm would go into limp home mode but it never does. This has been going on for over 4 years now. As near as I can tell it is temperature and or moisture sensitive to when it happens. You can run the codes to see if you have any. :bang

When you say comes on goes off do you mean while your driving. Or just when you start out it comes ont then goes off and stays off.
It does this while driving.sometime I can drive for miles before it comes on,stays on for a while then goes off.
Thanks

Depending on your climate change, it could be something as minor as the o2 sensors sending signals to the ecm that it's reading the exhaust gasses being adjusted. Easiest thing to do is just run a code scan.

Thanks, I will do.

Yep out of sight out of mind I guess. If he couldn't figure out what it was and the car seemed to run okay that was his solution!

TAPE OVER A CK ENG LIGHT? What do you do for a living work at Walmart? Man, run your codes...if you can't then go to Autozone, They will run code checks for free. At least you'll find out if you have a warning of a soon to be expensive problem. Like if the CST is reading the thermostat is resonding slowly, Want to blow a head gasket? What if your fuel pump is spiking voltage...want to pay a tow bill when the pump fails. Corvette owners don't do that stuff, Fix your ride and be safe!

TAPE OVER A CK ENG LIGHT? What do you do for a living work at Walmart? Man, run your codes...if you can't then go to Autozone, They will run code checks for free. At least you'll find out if you have a warning of a soon to be expensive problem. Like if the CST is reading the thermostat is resonding slowly, Want to blow a head gasket? What if your fuel pump is spiking voltage...want to pay a tow bill when the pump fails. Corvette owners don't do that stuff, Fix your ride and be safe!
thanks,i should have also said the abs,low coolant lights do the same thing.they dont stay on but come on and off.i am not a wrench and do not work just trying to get a heads up before going to the shop.
thanks,
don

thanks,i should have also said the abs,low coolant lights do the same thing.they dont stay on but come on and off.i am not a wrench and do not work just trying to get a heads up before going to the shop.
thanks,
don
First thing I would do is,
1. Pull Codes and wright them down!!
2. Remove,Charge and Load Check Battery!!
3. Clean EVERY Ground connection Body,Engine Compartment and Engine!!
4. Check the connections on fuse-able Links,and the links themselves!!(Behind the battery!!)
5. If the Battery is Good,put it back in!! If Not, Replace It!! (If kinda Borderline Replace it!!)
6. Make sure the coolant level is correct and Fire it up and Check the alternator Voltage (13.8-14.9 is Perfect) while everything is running!!(Lights,A/C/High Blower)
7.Check Alternator for AC voltage slipping past the diodes!!(1-2 Volts is OK)
8. If all that checks out Drive it 100-300 miles and see if the light comes back on!! If so Recheck the codes and go from there!!:upthumbs

First thing I would do is,
1. Pull Codes and wright them down!!
2. Remove,Charge and Load Check Battery!!
3. Clean EVERY Ground connection Body,Engine Compartment and Engine!!
4. Check the connections on fuse-able Links,and the links themselves!!(Behind the battery!!)
5. If the Battery is Good,put it back in!! If Not, Replace It!! (If kinda Borderline Replace it!!)
6. Make sure the coolant level is correct and Fire it up and Check the alternator Voltage (13.8-14.9 is Perfect) while everything is running!!(Lights,A/C/High Blower)
7.Check Alternator for AC voltage slipping past the diodes!!(1-2 Volts is OK)
8. If all that checks out Drive it 100-300 miles and see if the light comes back on!! If so Recheck the codes and go from there!!:upthumbs
thanks, for your help.
don

What do you do for a living work at Walmart? !

And pray tell, what would be the problem if one DID work at Wal Mart?

Easy goes here! I believe there was a "roll eyes" sarcastic smile attached to the original comment!

I am also wondering if none of us ever turned our stereo louder to drown out a certain sound! :chuckle

SAVE THE :w

I am also wondering if none of us ever turned our stereo louder to drown out a certain sound! :chuckle

SAVE THE :w
I'm Guilty!!! My Corvettes all have a Rattling Squeaky Whining noise when the better half is on the passenger side!! I crank it Up and drowned it out!!!!:boogie

I think you should follow Junk's advice, he has never steered me or anyone else wrong to my knowledge. The Service Engine Light comes on for a reason, and one should heed it to find out what is wrong.
Barrett

Squeeks & Rattles sure, radios fix that with the wife in the car! ABS lights coming on and Check Engine Lights are just "Gremlins"! But Wal Mart is sacred....JUST jokin' with ya oceangal But, you might wanna check your ground cables at the battery and chassis. Bad grounds make ecm's do weird things.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom