Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Check Gas Cap in DIC

L

lumberjack527

Last night I installed a new painted interior trim kit. In order to do the job I had to disconnect all of the electronic switches and buttons from the console to the emergency flashers and all of the electronics around the gauge cluster. After finishing the job, I pressed all of the buttons and switches. Everything worked like it should. Today, I drove the car for a while and I noticed the DIC said to check gas cap. I did just that and all seemed to be fine with the gas cap. I can press the gas mileage button or any of the other buttons on the right side of the instrument cluster and it goes away. But when I kill the engine and restart, it comes back again. I can't figure this one out. Anyone have any ideas?
willy_nilly.gif
willy_nilly.gif

'06 Service Manual says the following:

PCM (Powertrain Control Module) sends the Check Gas Cap message when any of the following occur:

Malfunction in the evaporative emission system and a large leak test fails, or

Malfunction in the EVAP system and a small leak test fails

I would check the gas cap very well....make sure the seal is good...

Had you just filled the tank when all this started?

No, it had been several days, maybe a week since I filled up. I do not know what it could be but is it possible unplugging all of the buttons and switches last night caused it somehow?

Let me do some more reading tonite....seems odd that just unplugging some items would cause this message.....was battery disconnected when you performed all this work?
Had this before on my truck and just loosened/re-installed the gas cap....

Thanks 68. No the battery was not disconnected. I appreciate your help!

Strange, I have an 05' and all of a sudden I'm starting to get the same message in the DIC, "Check Gas Cap", so I got out checked it, tightened it and I keep getting the message??????????
So I guess the next step is the DEALER.....UGH!!!! what a waste of time for something so damn simple!

Not saying that you might have disturbed something when you redid your dash but you might check the lines running from your tank. I had an 05 Impala for about 18 months when I suddenly got the same message. Tightened the gas cap and it didn't go away. Finally put it on a lift and could see there was a tiny leak between the metal line out of the tank to the rubber hose. A half twist on the hose clamp and no more problem. Funny how these things seem to crop up overnight.

Hope this helps.

Ron
"Baldie88"

Well all of a sudden my DIC no longer posts "Check Gas Cap" it just kinda went away on it's own????????Go Figure.....

I had that message for no apparent reason. Came on one day and stayed, so after a week I went to the dealer. Instead of waiting in line or leaving my car, I just went up to the service manager and asked him to call back to the repair guys to see if they had a new cap. 10 minutes later one of the guys walked up with one, switched it and had me sign the warranty repair paper. That was it.

The message did come back on later that day twice when starting the car, then disappeared never to return.

I had that message for no apparent reason. Came on one day and stayed, so after a week I went to the dealer. Instead of waiting in line or leaving my car, I just went up to the service manager and asked him to call back to the repair guys to see if they had a new cap. 10 minutes later one of the guys walked up with one, switched it and had me sign the warranty repair paper. That was it.

The message did come back on later that day twice when starting the car, then disappeared never to return.
Replaced mine yesterday for same issue; plastic caps fail all the time; dealer took it in with no appointment and replaced cap in about 15 mins.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom