Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Cheep C4 Autocross Vette

• Thread starter tom72vettesrule
  • Start date
T

tom72vettesrule

I'm looking for sugestions on finding a cheep c4 for using as a steet prepared autocross car.
What options to look for? Z51, autotrans., etc.
What years are best?

I'd say go with an 84. I've seen themon ebay for 2500. thats a good start for a good autocroos car. Since it will mostly be ripped apart, and rebuilt. Depending on the mods you want to do.

The cars with the Z51 package had the quicker steering didn't they . That would definately be a benefit . Cliff

84 had the throttle body injection, starting in 85 -91 was the Tunned Port Injection. I'd suggest going with an 85 and newer just for that reason. I think both 84 and 85 models had very stiff suspensions in stock form which makes for a good autoX car. Look in the Model Center on this web site for the suspension options for each year, it will also show the skid pad G-Force as well.

They're all good :)

I'm running my92 with A4 trans and FE1 suspension on street tires. My friend is running a 91 with 6sp and Z07 package on Hoosiers. His car is definetely better for autox (Solo II). It is stiffer, has bigger brakes, and the L98 with 6sp has some serious low end grunt. Realistically you won't get out of 2nd gear unless you hit a large course.

If you look at the SCCA national level in AS, ASL, and BSP the C4 Vettes are having their way with those classes. The top ones in AS this year were a 93, a few 89s, and a 95, 96. Even a ZR1, of course, that isn't a cheap autox car ;-) And in SS you better show up in a Z06 or you'll get clobbered...

Like the others said the Z51 suspension is a good option. Z07 is even better. Some good rubber and a modified alignment and you can have a good time :Steer

You can upgrade a base (FE1) car to Z51 specs fairly easily, Racks, shocks, springs and such are easily available and you would probably have to replace most of that nayway.The only problem would be the frame stiffeners that were welded in on the assembly line. Most association rules should allow you install any available OEM (or equal ) components that were available for that model year.

The 89 Z51 MN6 was probably one of the best stock cars for autocross competition. If the goal is B/SP, I would look for the cheapest rolling chassis you can find. Build your motor or get a GM crate motor like a ZZ4. I would go with a manual tranny like the 4+3 or a Richmond Gear 5-speed or 6-speed (they bolt right in and they have bolt holes for the torque arm) so if you decide to do some open track events, you won't have to worry about typical A4 issues (heat, not runing in O/D).

tom72vettesrule said:
I'm looking for sugestions on finding a cheep c4 for using as a steet prepared autocross car.

You are saying STREET PREPARED autocross car.

Therefore, not highly modified, street legal.

Best bet would be an L98 motor ( 85-91)
Anti-lock brakes started in 1986
Automatic's are fine in most cases, some people prefer a manual, can use engine braking going into corners.

Since you are in Michigan, you are in an area heavily infested with the "National Council of Corvette Clubs" clubs that put on autocross events. 16 clubs in Michigan alone, many more just across the border in Ohio, Indiana, and Illinios.
You may want to check out there competition program, it is "Corvette's Only" and divides the Corvettes up into many classes for fair competition.

Start here: NCCC Michigan Region
Then go to: National Council of Corvette Clubs
Lots of good info on how to find a club in your area.

Hope to see you on the track someday:Steer

1987 Coupe is the lightest of all C4s and with Z51 still handles damn good with the quicker steering and other goodies. :D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom