Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Chirp chirp!

JakAzz425

Hello all this will be my first technical question on this forum so excuse me if I dont oost general information that may be needed for my question to be answered. But here goes, so I have a 2000 C5 Vert and I recently had a radiator hose blow while on the highway. I quickly got off the highway and pulled into the closest lot available. By the time I got into the lot I had redlined the coolant temp gage. Needless to say I had to buy coolant closest available which was quik trips 50/50 coolant. (I know dex-cool is whats needed and the mixture of the 2 will cause a gelling effect) but there was no coolant in the system when I added the 50/50 generic and I wasnt in the best neighborhood to where I could leave the vette for a few hours while I got the correct coolant. I digress, I have already flushed the system and replaced with the correct coolant but now while driving I get a chirp in all lower gears at all temps and all different ranges of throttle. The only time I dont get it is after I shift into 4th gear. Common sense says its a belt with not enough tension or a degrading belt. But the serpentine belt is in good condition with what feels to be pretty good tension and it has a new acc belt and new acc belt tensioner. So im a little at a loss. Should I replace the serp belt anyway and see if that helps?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Hi Jack... (don't say that in an airport...)

Is it possible that you still have a coolant leak that is wetting a belt? Does it make the noise in park when revving the engine?

BTW-hello from Tulsa.:w

Yay my first tulsa friend. But yes, it still chirps in park while revving.

it likely 'cleaned' some oil/grease off of a pulley when the hose blew.

i.e., you probably already had a problem starting and this exposed it. i'd guess idler arm, they tend to go. pull the belt and hand spin the pulleys. It could also be the water pump if it ran dry.

Would the chirp dissipate in certain gears though? Cause it is fully nonexistent in 4th and 5th gear.

Hello all this will be my first technical question on this forum so excuse me if I dont oost general information that may be needed for my question to be answered. But here goes, so I have a 2000 C5 Vert and I recently had a radiator hose blow while on the highway. I quickly got off the highway and pulled into the closest lot available. By the time I got into the lot I had redlined the coolant temp gage. Needless to say I had to buy coolant closest available which was quik trips 50/50 coolant. (I know dex-cool is whats needed and the mixture of the 2 will cause a gelling effect) but there was no coolant in the system when I added the 50/50 generic and I wasnt in the best neighborhood to where I could leave the vette for a few hours while I got the correct coolant. I digress, I have already flushed the system and replaced with the correct coolant but now while driving I get a chirp in all lower gears at all temps and all different ranges of throttle. The only time I dont get it is after I shift into 4th gear. Common sense says its a belt with not enough tension or a degrading belt. But the serpentine belt is in good condition with what feels to be pretty good tension and it has a new acc belt and new acc belt tensioner. So im a little at a loss. Should I replace the serp belt anyway and see if that helps?

With the engine warm and idling and the noise present, spray a little water from a spray bottle or WD-40 on the belt and see if the noise changes or goes away for a while and don't forget that there is an a/c belt behind the main serpentine belt on the passenger side, make sure to spray both. If it does then it is a belt noise. Good luck with it. :)

With the engine warm and idling and the noise present, spray a little water from a spray bottle or WD-40 on the belt and see if the noise changes or goes away for a while and don't forget that there is an a/c belt behind the main serpentine belt on the passenger side, make sure to spray both. If it does then it is a belt noise. Good luck with it. :)

Ill try this as soon as I get home and let you know

Oh yea, im new to the forums and havent posted any pics yet.

20130714_115741_zps514f536d.jpg

The rubber of the belts REALY dont like antifreeze and many other chemical products. It appens very often when one of my customer get to my shop whit a antifreeze leak the belts get noisy after the repair. As long as the leak keeps the belts lubricated there is no noise but as soon as the leak is fix and the belt gets dry it will star to make noise. I tryed many time to clean whit fresh water, lubricate them whit belt dressing spray (I dont like that stuff), sand all the pulleys to remove the shinny surfaces but there is just nothing to do even if the belt is new. When it start making the noise it will only stop when it will be replace by a new one AND the pulleys ad been carefully cleaned whit water and soap. Also take care, the same problem may appear if you use engine shampoo and some spray reach the belts. I spoke whit Gates and Dayco reps. and they confirm the problem and the solution. Goog luck Stephane:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom