Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Chirping , Squealing sound from drivetrain.

Corvette
1999 Torch Red Coupe
On my 1999 6 speed coupe, I some times get a loud chirping or squealing sound coming from the drivetrain when the car is in gear and under any load. This goes away after some time of driving. Its not the drive belts on the engine as it goes away if i take the car out of gear and race the motor.

I am thinking pilot bearing maybe? Any idea?

HI there,
I would ask for your mileage, but honestly, I would consider the throwout bearing or clutch assembly.
When this occurs, simply lean on your clutch pedal slightly, and see if the noise changes pitch or completely stops.
Allthebest, c4c5:hb

HI there,
I would definately be considering a Slave cylinder/throwout bearing assembly. Just be sure to make sure that the noise is coming from the bellhousing and NOT the torque tube.
If it was the pilot bearing, it would be there when you pushed the clutch in.
It will take a day, based on having to do the alignment afterwards. 4.7 hours for the slave replacement and about 2.5 for a correct alignment afterwards.
Please keep us posted, c4c5:hb

Hi there,
It does take me 2.5 hours to perform an alignment. 4 wheels. all angles.
I have to reset all your trim height specifications and then align the car. This requires my 2 trim height gauges and about an hour to correctly set all 4 corners. Checkthe steering angle and SAI, which is steering axis inclination.
Then I do the actual alignment.
Allthebest, c4c5:hb

Got it, thank you.

I looked in the manual for the procedure to do the job, it doesnt look that bad being as the trans is in the rear and the clutch assembly is in the front. Though the car has a warrenty for another few months I am very reluctant to bring it in.

If it continues I will attempt it myself. I noticed that recently the noise has subsided greatly. I wonder if the lack of use (4000 miles per year) was a factor and now that i am driving it at a rate of 1000 miles per month (until snow time) it may go away. (I doubt it, but just rationalizing)

Thank you for your assistance.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom