Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Choke Light

Corvette
1982 Collector Edition
While working on my rough idle, i noticed that my choke light doesnt come on at all.. And if i remember correctly, hasnt, ever, i think).. :W

So, after reading a few threads, i shall go and check on the choke fuse, the relay next to the shifter and the bulb (As it doesnt come on for the bulb check).

Just to clarify some things for the non mechanic that i am:
-The Choke light is in the Tach (Yes, sounds stupid, but it's hard to see when it doesnt light up)?
- How do i check the relay ?
- And guessing for the bulb i have to get the whole cluster out, right ? :ohnoes

Thanks guys and gals..

:w
-Stefan

FWIW: The new issue of Corvette Enthusiast Magazine has a good article on trouble shooting the Crossfire. Lots of things to check and to look for.

:)

FWIW: The new issue of Corvette Enthusiast Magazine has a good article on trouble shooting the Crossfire. Lots of things to check and to look for.

they can fit that in one magazine.......;LOL

While working on my rough idle, i noticed that my choke light doesnt come on at all.. And if i remember correctly, hasnt, ever, i think).. :W

So, after reading a few threads, i shall go and check on the choke fuse, the relay next to the shifter and the bulb (As it doesnt come on for the bulb check).

Just to clarify some things for the non mechanic that i am:
-The Choke light is in the Tach (Yes, sounds stupid, but it's hard to see when it doesnt light up)?
- How do i check the relay ?
- And guessing for the bulb i have to get the whole cluster out, right ? :ohnoes

Thanks guys and gals..

:w
-Stefan

Stefan, as you know... I have TPI. I still have the choke light. Yes... it still comes on!

My choke light comes on first thing in the morning when I start the car. It is connected to the OEM harness although the leads to the choke have been tucked away under the fender.

Sorry buddy- I won't be much help troubleshooting your issue. I thought you'd find my choke light story amusing though...:)

Mike, no fair.. That means i A) need you to scan it in and sent it to me (Dont think i can get my hands on it here for a while yet, i'll look though) and B) a gazillion more things i need to check and fix on my car? :W
:chuckle

Stefan, as you know... I have TPI. I still have the choke light. Yes... it still comes on!

My choke light comes on first thing in the morning when I start the car. It is connected to the OEM harness although the leads to the choke have been tucked away under the fender.

Sorry buddy- I won't be much help troubleshooting your issue. I thought you'd find my choke light story amusing though...:)

Well Johnny, how about you send me yours and i'll send you mine, then we both have whats correct for our cars.. ;LOL

Okay Stephan,
You have mentioned the Choke light before, but I thought it was a misnomer then and still do.

First, the CFI 82's don't have a choke. It's a function of the IAC valves and the injectors running rich at startup that gives you the rich mixture. There aren't any choke plates on the Throttle Body throats.

Second, my 82 Tach face is solid aluminum with no form of a light in the gauge.

Third, the wiring diagrams don't show any hint of a light bulb wire coming off the ECM harness that would power a lamp. Since that is what would power the bulb, I can say with a fair degree of certainty that there isn't one.

Maybe you have a 81 tach in your 82?
Or maybe it's Firebird tach from 82.

Okay Stephan,
You have mentioned the Choke light before, but I thought it was a misnomer then and still do.

First, the CFI 82's don't have a choke. It's a function of the IAC valves and the injectors running rich at startup that gives you the rich mixture. There aren't any choke plates on the Throttle Body throats.

Third, the wiring diagrams don't show any hint of a light bulb wire coming off the ECM harness that would power a lamp. Since that is what would power the bulb, I can say with a fair degree of certainty that there isn't one.

i was wondering that also but was waiting for someone else to say it, i looked real hard at my tach and i didnt see a hint of a spot for a light anywhere

Okay Stephan,

Pete,
Thanks for the info re no choke on the 82's.. Hence my Dummy question (You know i am never shy of those. :chuckle).

BUT: My Tach (Just to clarify: The right one with the RPMs) is certainly a 82 CE (It has "Cross fire.. " on the face), so no mistaken there..

On the bottom of it is a little 'window' that has something wirtten on it, which i presumed to be Choke. I am on my way downstairs now to snap a pic, maybe we'll be able to tell then.. ;shrug:ugh

So, in general, the ECM just controls what RPM to set, mix the fuel/air mix and off we go (leaving out a few items, of course).. So my mentioning of the "choke" in the other thread was just from bygone days with my old car's feel. It certainly feels the same, thats for sure, minus having to pull a knob and push it back in.. :D:L

BRB.. ;)

Ok, i am NOT smoking anything..

DSC02501.jpg

Zoom in on the little window on the bottom.. If i am not mistaken, that says CHOKE on there..
gruebel.gif

Stefan,that's where the '81's are located as well....
If I recall,the choke lite also worked with something else,at least on the 81's,but I can't remember what off the top of my head.....

DSC02501.jpg

Zoom in on the little window on the bottom..

Huh. Well Stefan- no doubt about it- that is a choke light!!!

It looks just like my choke light.... you can see it in the little window on the bottom of the video clip.

OK, you got me!
That's exactly what mine looks like too.
I have never seen the light on. Maybe mines blown too.:L

OK, you got me!
That's exactly what mine looks like too.
I have never seen the light on. Maybe mines blown too.:L
Crap.. :ohnoes I've stumped Pete.. Now what do we do? :confused

Anyone else know about Choke lights on 82's? Or did GM just use the leftover 81 Tach's.. ;LOL

GM just re-used the tachometer (aside from the cross fire logo).
I've had my tach out. There is a choke logo, but no bulb behind it. There wasn't even a connector where a bulb could have been.

The ironic thing is i could actually use a choke light on my '82.

Good Luck!

Cheap.. :mad

Well, unless someone disagrees with Minifridge, that makes the most sense, why we have one but it doesnt light up.. Silly though. Didnt they think someone would take a closer look? :eyerole

Ah well..

Cheap.. :mad

Well, unless someone disagrees with Minifridge, that makes the most sense, why we have one but it doesnt light up.. Silly though. Didnt they think someone would take a closer look? :eyerole

Ah well..
It does make sense considering that the 82 was the last production year of the C3's, and they would want to use up all of the current inventory of vendors parts while making a minimum of changes to the interior.

Crap.. :ohnoes I've stumped Pete.. Now what do we do? :confused

Anyone else know about Choke lights on 82's? Or did GM just use the leftover 81 Tach's.. ;LOL

I know of a couple of persons I would like to choke,but......:boogie:boogie

;LOL Bill..

Update: I posted a similar thread on the 82CE board, more a FYI or maybe just maybe. And Mike (Iron82) said that the CE manual shows a bulb for the choke light but no further description. He is going to dig. I'll keep you updated, this is getting :werd:'er by the minute.

My earlier post was wrong.
I had the tach out a few days ago and there is a bulb behind the choke light.

I have no idea what it is supposed to do, but it is there and it has been there since it left Bowling Green.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom