Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Choke question

M

MusclesWit350

My choke is sticking and it releases at different times... I can drive for an hour with it keeping my engine reving at 900-1000k(at idle) then when I put it into park it goes passed 1500rpm. When this happens its like the car loses half its power.... My question: Is there away to disconnect the choke? If so how? Im going to replace the carb in the winter but right now I dont have the money with college and all.... I also don't have the knowledge to rebuild the carb either, my dad does but he is really busy latey. I was just hoping to go like a month, if that without it being hooked up.... Its the stock carb that came on the 80 350 L48.

Thanks all!

Muscles,

You can try this;

1) Remove the air cleaner assembly.
2) Loosen the choke cover screws (hopefully yours doesn't have the rivets still).
3) Rotate the cover and watch for the choke plate on the carburetor venturi move.
4) Position (by rotating the cover) the cover so that the choke plate in the venturi is as closely as possible to the vertical position.
5) Snug the choke cover screws again
6) Re-install air cleaner assembly

The above can help unless the choke spring is broken. In which case you may have to remove the choke cover and remove the bi-metal spring.

If the bi-metal spring is left connected to the choke plate rod, then reposition the 12 volt cable on the choke cover connector so that at least it will prevent the choke from re-setting. This adjustment should allow for minimal choke application. Again, if this does not work, then perhaps the spring is broken, or some other malfunction could be causing condition.

GerryLP:cool

GerryLP is right on. Living up North you'll need the choke in the winter. For a few bucks you can buy a manual choke conversion kit at any auto parts store.

Check to see if the air cleaner is coming into contact with the choke rod.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom