Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Choke sticking:

401KVet

Corvette
1980 L82 Coupe, Black
I have a reman. OEM Rochester quadrajet carburetor. When starting the engine cold, it would idle at a higher idle from the choke. Most of the time in the past after a few minutes it would idle down after warming up a bit. In the more recent past it would not idle down and I would have to give the pedal a hard shot and then it would idle down. Now that doesn't work. It stays at the higher idle as if something is sticking. Would anyone know what I need to adjust for this? I know little about carburetor's other than how to change the fuel filter. lol Thanks for any help...

Do you have a elec choke or an older one? If its a elec version first look if the wire is still attached to the choke. After that look at how the choke is located in the housing and remove it then see if the lever inside the housing can move freely. If so change the choke for another one and try again also set the choke as the previous one was set.

Btw, you always need to slightly push the gaspedal to take the choke off. As the choke opens the chokevalve when warming up and the engine is warming up (so less fuel is condensating against tbe inside intake the fuel air ratio changes continuously so chances are from your experience the rpm didn't drop as the choke turned off but the a/f ratio changed into a less then optimum condition.

Greetings Peter

Last edited:
To clean some of the gunk off use carberator cleaner. Use with caution.

Do you have a elec choke or an older one? If its a elec version first look if the wire is still attached to the choke. After that look at how the choke is located in the housing and remove it then see if the lever inside the housing can move freely. If so change the choke for another one and try again also set the choke as the previous one was set.

Btw, you always need to slightly push the gaspedal to take the choke off. As the choke opens the chokevalve when warming up and the engine is warming up (so less fuel is condensating against tbe inside intake the fuel air ratio changes continuously so chances are from your experience the rpm didn't drop as the choke turned off but the a/f ratio changed into a less then optimum condition.

Greetings Peter

Yes, I miss spoke. I have always had to hit the pedal for it to idle down. But more recently I've had to hit the pedal harder, and most of the time I had to hit it several times for it to idle down. Yes, it does have a elec choke and the wire is connected. If the lever inside is moving freely, does that mean I will have to change the elec choke for another? Is that was you are saying? Thanks for your help..

Yes that is correct but i think you need to test some more to make sure where the problem is.
To explain the choke. The coil is when cold under tension so it puls the lever inside the choke down. Connected to the choke valve the choke valve is almost closed. When warming up the coil expands so the choke valve is pushed open.
Next behind the choke housing is the stepped cam to raise rpm when cold. This is the cam that should relaise the high rpm then the engine has warmed up. You can also look if that moves the way it shoud and clean it. Remove the aircleaner assembly and you can see it.

For the choke coil. Use a 12v source and connect that to the choke. It should move like an inch then it is still working properly.

Greetings Peter

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom