Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Chrome techniques vs. Stock Aluminum Wheels

Big D

Corvette
1978 - Frost Blue - T-Tops
Hey everybody I need some feedback. Trying to decide whether to go with the optional wheel offered by GM for my 78 or go with the modern version of the wheel and have it chromed? I understand there are now two techinques used in chroming wheels. The new method, PVD chroming boasts a 5 year warranty as well as technique which offers less drawbacks such as peeling, cracking, etc. as compared to the old method of chroming. Then I run into the same problem when I look at Aluminum wheels. I can find the new repro's as well as reconditioned wheels claiming to look like (operative word) orginals. I have never seen one.
So there it is, anyone have anything to say? Oh yea, would like your opinion on whether you would go with chrome or alum. I know its my car and all that but you must have a preference of one over the other. Yes?:stirpot

Wheel finishes

Oh yea, would like your opinion on whether you would go with chrome or alum. I know its my car and all that but you must have a preference of one over the other. Yes?:stirpot
**********************************************************************************************
If you are taking a poll, I vote no chrome.
Terry

Chrome plating aluminum is a lot more complex than ferrous metals. First the aluminum is plated with zincate, Next is cyanide copper then copper, nickel then chrome, Or start with alkaline electroless nickel plating before copper-nickel-chrome.
The process for ferrous metals is copper-nickel-chrome.
The term triple plated chrome is the copper-nickel-chrome process.

One of the best sources show quality chrome was Brown's in Paducah, Ky. Unfortunately, they went out of business last year. Zinc is a real no-no to the EPA.

I'd ask at your local Harley dealer who they use as a supplier.

Looking to see what I can find Terry. I catch myself leaning that way at times too.;shrug kpic, thanks for the technical info man but can you reccommend one process over another or do you not have any practical experience with either process? Can't get all my ducks in a row to make a choice.:duh Looks like not much in the way of knowing the pros and cons of each process so, might as well wait with time.:)

If you are not satisfied with your stock aluminum wheels, why not restore them to new condition. It would look good, it would look proper, and it would probably be less expensive than having them chrome plated.

Big D,
I used to operate a part time business working on Harleys to pay for my hobbies or better said bad habits.

A lot of my customers wanted parts chromed when their engine was apart and the majority of the parts were aluminum. The zincate followed by copper, nickel then chrome which produces the best results. However, the answer you seek is who is delivering the best chrome today and that I don't know.

Confused and Dazed

I have to apologize for the confusion. Apparently, I did not make myself clear on what I was looking for. I am thinking of replacing the wheels on my 78. The wheels on the car were an option for 78. Now I see they are taking the same wheel and chroming it. These wheels are new and the chroming process is either triple plated or PVD depending on where you purchase your wheels. I am still leaning towards purchasing new wheels but the same ones as I have now - optional wheel offered in 78. Maybe I will wait a while to see how this PVD chrome holds up. Still, I like the factory optional wheel.:argue But the chrome iis cool for a change.

Thanks though for input, always like to hear how others think.:thanks:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom