Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

cleaning in front of radiator

94conv.

Corvette
1994 red convertible
Whats the best way/ easiest way to get into between the radiator to clean it with out draining the coolant?

I found that on my 90 the best way was to take the top fan shroud off. I ended up removing my radiator because I was installing new hoses at the same time. Installing the bottom hose is more easily done with the radiator removed. When I removed the radiator , I found a lot of small stones and other debris in the fins.

Glenn
:w

Thanks guys, my temperature has been rising so I added water wetter but its actually the gauge thats rising if I check it in the digital display its not that far out or high. So I was trying to check to see if there was any debris in front of the radiator and it looked clear of leaves and general garbage. I see your point of removing and cleaning the radiator, I was trying to just get to the front of it to remove leaves and such. I found a spot on the passenger side that I could look and see if there were anything there.

On my '92 thre is an opening in the shroud on the right side top. I sometimes spray some water in there to knock out the leaves etc.

After taking a good look around, thats the best option I could find to. I was really wanting to know how if you can take the shroud off without draining the radiator but I was just trying to get the leaves out and see if there were anything else such as a walmart bag or something up against it to. That spot on the right side did the trick for that but someone else mentioned rocks being lodged inbetween the fins, I would never have imagined that so sometime in the near future Ill take it out and clean the radiator.

Picture Please

On my '92 thre is an opening in the shroud on the right side top. I sometimes spray some water in there to knock out the leaves etc.

I went out and looked at my 93 and I could not find the opening you are talking about. Could you post a picture of the area so that I can find it.
:confused

I bent a coat hanger,taped to a thin stick.
loosen up the leaves etc,& adapt a small hose to a shop vac, & go for it carefully.Worked for me 1/2 hour

I'm halfway through a radiator removal / fin repair / plenum cleanse....wasn't the funnest thing to drain the coolant and yank it, but with all the crap I found down in there, I'm very glad I did. Had to drain some coolant anyways to do a TB clean, TPS adjust, and TB coolant bypass, so figured might as well.

cheers

The only effective way of cleaning out the shroud/radiator is to pull the radiator. I do this once a year to keep the fins clear. While I have the radiator out, I also blast some water through the condenser fins to clean them out as well.

Just be careful with the reattachment of the transmission fluid lines to the radiator...I thought my bottom line was connected, but my connector was just rusted stuck so it dumped tranny fluid when I turned the car on. :mad

Tomorrow will fix the connector, reattach the line, and top off the fluid lost.

I went out and looked at my 93 and I could not find the opening you are talking about. Could you post a picture of the area so that I can find it.
:confused

Upper right hand corner (passenger side) of the shrowd (at least on a 92) where some of the coolant lines are connected to the radiator.

I don't see how that would not restrict airflow. Looks like a lot of restriction to me. Does look nice though.

Glenn
:w

I have not seen a rise in cooling temp.

It has many holes, which are very close together.

The stainless steel is very strong. It has prevented a lot of road trash from going into the rad. Bags, leaves, stones, branches, pop cans, paper cups and newspaper.

I must admit....it gives me piece of mind.

:)

Got a vacuum cleaner? Using the extra long tube that comes with the unit, tape 2 or 3 paper towels tubes to the end. Squash 'em almost flat, stick them in there and hit the juice on the vacuum. Ouila! All that doesn't get sucked straight into the vacuum cleaner will be stuck to the end of the tubes for easy plucking off. Also good for getting into those tight places around and under the seats. :w

father & son

After i cleaned out radiator area, which included pulling radiator. I took some plastic screen and stuffed it around AC condensor. Now i don't get leaves and Walmart bags any more,in that area.
vette-16.jpg

Yeah---I've seen that in one of the major Corvette catalogs. Was it difficult to install? Does it seems to work?

Cheers,

/s/ Chris Kennedy

It takes about an hour on an 96.

It works like a charm and well worth the install time.

It has prevented rocks, leaves, bags, bolts ( off trucks) and bugs from hitting my rad. I just use a stainless steel cleaner to wipe off all the road trash every month or so. It looks really cool when viewed from down the road.

I have used window screen on all my C4's and never have had trash in front of the radiator.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom