Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Cleaning the engine.

Tigershark_11

Corvette
2000 pewter convertable 6m
Hi
Im wondering what is the right way to go about cleaning my engine? I was gonna spray some cleaner then wash it off but I dont want to damage any electronics. Real dusty from the dirt roads. Any sugestions? anyone have a trick that works for them?

Thanks,
Bob. :beer

I would stay away from direct water spray or a pressure washer. I usually use Purple Power or Simple Green to clean any grease, spraying on the area to be cleaned and then removing dirt/grease with a rag. For general dust, I would use air to blow off the engine compartment and then on a cold engine; I spray a mixture of Armor All (50% water 50% Armor All) all over the engine compartment. Close the hood and walk away for about 1-2 hours. When you come back take a cloth and wipe any excess off and any light dirt will lift off leaving a natural look. You should have a pretty good looking engine compartment when you are done. It works for me anyway.

I mist the engine compartment (cold) with Simple Green ,usually a 50/50 mix. let it sit about 10mins. then us a light mist from a garden hose or even a pump up garden sprayer. I would make sure to cover the alternator first. After the engine compartment dries I spray it with a WATERBOURNE silicone detailing solution. Remember, the detailing sprays that come in aerosol cans for the most part are rich in VOC's and therefore are extremley flammable (very bad day) Hope it's a help!!

Thanks everyone. Gives me a few ideas on how im going to clean that engine up!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom