Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Clicking noise when lights shut off?!

S

Scott E

When I turn off either the park lights or the headlights I hear a continuous click for about 7 seconds,noise is coming from headlight buckets,is this normal? This is the first vette I have ever owned.92' coupe so wasnt sure if this is normal or I should be giving something some attn.Any info greatly apprecieated!

Stripped Gears

Actually it's three nylon bushings internal of the large gear in the headlight motor.
Lift the hood ( Headlights on ).
find the knob on the back of the headlight motor.
Have somebody turn the headlights off.
Watch the knob if it keeps spinning after the headlights go down.
Repeat for the UP position.
The knobs on both side sides should stop the second the headlamp assy stops.
A) If your mechanically inclined order 2 sets of bushings from Mid america, plan a day to take them out & rebuild.
B) Have the dealer ( or other mechanical service rebuild them)

The round nylon bushings turn to powder after time.
If one died.. the other is typically not far behind.

Mike

I'll lay odds its your bushings. Go to Home Depot and ask for item number 595609. You will need six of these nylon spacers to repair both headlights. They cost me .69 cents (plus tax) for a pack of three at my local Home Depot store.

Much cheaper than the $7.99 price in MAD, Eckler's and some of the other specialty catalogs and they are the exact same Delrin spacers. Go figure.

If there's a TechTips portal on this Forum search under "headlight bushings." If not, let me know and I'll see if I can get you a copy of the instructions I used when I replaced mine a couple of months ago.

onedef92 said:
I'll lay odds its your bushings. Go to Home Depot and ask for item number 595609. You will need six of these nylon spacers to repair both headlights. They cost me .69 cents (plus tax) for a pack of three at my local Home Depot store.

Much cheaper than the $7.99 price in MAD, Eckler's and some of the other specialty catalogs and they are the exact same Delrin spacers. Go figure.

If there's a TechTips portal on this Forum search under "headlight bushings." If not, let me know and I'll see if I can get you a copy of the instructions I used when I replaced mine a couple of months ago.
How in the world did you come across the Home Depot cure? Sweet! Thanks for passing this on.:_rock

LT1-MP said:
How in the world did you come across the Home Depot cure? Sweet! Thanks for passing this on.:_rock
I got hip to it from another C-4 Vetteran on www.corvetteforum.com. I replaced mine about two months ago using the Home Depot bushings and they've worked great ever since. Just passing along some good advice to the Corvette faithful here.

:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom