Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Clutch brands that work???

LannyL81

Corvette
81 White/Cinnabar, 96 CE LT4 sil/blk
Okay, from the responses I have regarding my RAM Clutch Blues....the RAM clutch is not going to work, so I need one that works. So far I have only two on the list, Centerforce and LUK/GM. Are there any others?

My engine rebuild is not that drastic...882 heads with 2.02/1.6 valves, 268H cam, flat-top pistons, 9.7:1 CR...so is it not like the engine is putting out lots of power....probably around 250 at the most, so I do not need nor want a drag racing clutch.

LUK/GM goes for $135 with shipping
Centerforce I for $300 with shipping

Thanks,
LannyL81

like most clutches, they are from overseas, and likely both from China....for whatever thats worth. (There are many clutch “brand Names” but only about 5 or 6 mfgs..ZF Sachs, Exedy, Valeo, Perfection, Luk, Perfection most are IMPORTS )
just as important is the correct number flywheel, throwout bearing, bellhousing, and clutch fork
good luck , jim

I am using all the original parts: bell housing, clutch fork, clutch pivot, flywheel (resurfaced).

Does anyone have the minimum thickness for the flywheel or know where I might find it at? I have ordered a flywheel shim (0.025") just in case I need it along with a LuK clutch kit. Also ordered a new clutch pivot as well...again just in case.

LannyL81

I just went out and looked at the box my current clutch came in. It is a Dynapak by Fenco. I have a ZZ4 motor and this is the second clutch and 1st resurfacing job. I would assume that there is a limit to the number of times one could resurface a fly-wheel before the clutch would not engage it anymore but that is a guess. I was going to mention that in the last thread you had going on it but I'm no expert.

I have seen significant wear on my clutch fork out at the end where the rod connects as well as at the other linkage connections but I would think that if that was your prob it would cause the opposite symptom from what you've experienced. I would definitely look at the F/W thickness. I believe you're on the right track.
good luck with it

Clutch Arm

Is the clutch arm supposed to have bushings in it where the pin drops into it that secures the rod between the clutch arm and the Z Bar? Mine has nothing there and I was just wondering. I do not remember seeing any bushings in the 81 Assembly Manual...but thought I would ask.

LannyL81

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom