Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Clutch Chatter

VetteGarage

Corvette
2004 Black Coupe
I have a 1995 White Coupe, six speed, base model, no engine modifications, 75,000 miles on the odometer. I bought it knowing I needed to install a clutch. I figured, "How tough could that be?" Well that was before I found out that you could no longer get a dual-mass flywheels. I bought a solid setup from Carolina Clutch. It had a heavy SPEC Flywheel. Had the flywheel balanced using my old unit as a base. First installation had so much clutch chatter that I had a terrible time even driving it. Talked to Tom at CC and sent entire unit back. They sent me my old flywheel back and new PP and clutch plate. The new clutch plate was different than the first one. I had the flywheel resurfaced and reinstalled. It was certainly better than after the first installation, but the clutch chatter is still unnerving. The car is no longer fun to drive. Sometimes the launch is smooth but most of the time it is jerky. POA. Backing up a small grade in reverse is horrible. I was looking at a Ram Dual Disc Clutch kit that changes the pull system to a push system. It claims smooth driveability which is what I want. Anyone have any experience with this unit. Other ideas are welcome. Going to start on it in November.

First...it's very difficult to "resurface" a dual-mass flywheel. In fact, there are few machine shops which have the special piece of equipment necessary to do it along with an operator who knows how to do a DM wheel.

The other problem with DM wheels is the secondary mass...the one which is the friction surface for the clutch disc...is marginal to begin with and once you machine it, you remove material, which makes it even more likely to warp which causes the clutch to chatter.

Since you've been through two clutches and two discs and still have chatter, my guess is the problem is the DM wheel and since there are few if any DM new DM wheels left and probably none for sale, you'll have to covert to a standard flywheel.

The lower-cost solution is to convert to a Camaro nodular iron wheel or an aftermarket steel wheel.

The best solution is an aluminum wheel and I get mine from McLeod Racing.

In my 95, I've had a McLeod aluminum flywheel, McLeod clutch and disc for about 15 years and it's worked great.

But...there is a downside of standard flywheels with ZF S6-40 transmissions and that's gear rattle and first gear growl. There is no way to avoid an increase in that unless you keep the dual-mass wheel.

Did you replace the bushing in the crankshaft ? on the ZF it takes very little wear to cause problems . Also
in case you don't know, do not put grease in the solid brass bushing , only in the needle bearing style.
I made that mistake, results were rather noisy.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom