Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Clutch Fluid AGAIN - How Much?

NC2Stay

Corvette
1995 Coupe, Torch Red, 6-speed, chrome sawblades
There was a slow clutch fluid leak when I bought my Vette from the previous owner, but I had both the master and slave replaced about a year ago, and all has been well since, but...

Here I am about 4 hours from home. I took her out this morning, and the cluth pedal was almost to the floor.

I checked and the reservoir was low again, although not by that much. Filled it up (yes I know about overfilling and where the indicator is) and it didn't take very much, and seems fine now.

Would you expect to lose a little bit of clutch fluid so that after a year you might need to refill? What is your experience.

My main question is whether to ride home tomorrow (I have plenty of fluid and think it will be OK) or wait and try to get an appointment somewhere to look at her.

Thanks, Bob

I got home with no problem. Checked the level and it didn't look like it went down at all.

So, I will keep an eye on it and see what happens.

Bob

Have you checked inside car under by clutch pedal for seepage? I put a new master in and it lasted about 90 days.Replaced and all has gone well.Kevin.

Yeah, mine went well for about a year or so. We'll see if it's acting up again...

Bob

Actuator Cylinder (Slave) probably leaking

NC2Stay,

good chance your actuator (slave) cylinder is leaking, albeit inside the nose cone's rubber boot so it might not be evident below the car.

It might also mean the slave cylinder is not operating optimally, and could be adding unneeded wear and tear on the transmission's syncro's.

Suggest reviewing ZFDOC.com for pointers, but generally if 50k or equal years, replace slave, and every other time replace the master.

Also consider NAPA's slave instead of GM's, NAPA's has a lifetime warranty.

hope this helps.

NC2Stay said:
There was a slow clutch fluid leak when I bought my Vette from the previous owner, but I had both the master and slave replaced about a year ago, and all has been well since, but...

Here I am about 4 hours from home. I took her out this morning, and the cluth pedal was almost to the floor.

I checked and the reservoir was low again, although not by that much. Filled it up (yes I know about overfilling and where the indicator is) and it didn't take very much, and seems fine now.

Would you expect to lose a little bit of clutch fluid so that after a year you might need to refill? What is your experience.

My main question is whether to ride home tomorrow (I have plenty of fluid and think it will be OK) or wait and try to get an appointment somewhere to look at her.

Thanks, Bob

Throw a pint of fluid in your storage compartment just in case, but maybe it wasn't completely bled and you just bubbled some air to the top.

Go to www.zfdoc.com Bill has found there are problems with the master and the slaves leaking right out of the box new. A seal is installed backwards on the GM DOM slaves and there were several issues on the maters leaking from the outside and the inside piston seal.

Regarding the new units leaking, such was the case with mine. When I recently did the clutch, I replaced both master and slave cylinders. When it wouldnt bleed correctly I took Bills advice he had given me when I visited his garage to purchase the beam plates, and sure enough my brand spanking new NAPA slave cylinder had the seals installed backwards. Then 2 weeks later I had the brand new autozone master fail. Thankfully the car was in the garage. I jumped in to go to work and the pedal went to the floor. The part was guaranteed, so autozone got me a new one in 1 day. The replacement had a beefier housing then the wagner they originally sold me. It was also about 10.00 more but they didnt charge me for it. Its been about 3 weeks since that incident and all is working well.

OK guys - thanks but enough on the bad parts. Mine was installed for almost 2 years before it needed fluid, so that was not the problem.

Thanks, Bob

Sunstroked said:
Regarding the new units leaking, such was the case with mine. When I recently did the clutch, I replaced both master and slave cylinders. When it wouldnt bleed correctly I took Bills advice he had given me when I visited his garage to purchase the beam plates, and sure enough my brand spanking new NAPA slave cylinder had the seals installed backwards. Then 2 weeks later I had the brand new autozone master fail. Thankfully the car was in the garage. I jumped in to go to work and the pedal went to the floor. The part was guaranteed, so autozone got me a new one in 1 day. The replacement had a beefier housing then the wagner they originally sold me. It was also about 10.00 more but they didnt charge me for it. Its been about 3 weeks since that incident and all is working well.

Was the NAPA slave a casting or the OEM extruder metal style? Jeff has had good luck with www.partsamerica.com master and slave. They are both castings and made by Tru-Torque (not made in the USA but they do not leak and the seals are installed correctly) Wagner does not make a slave for our C-4s only the master. Shame the master leaks as I have had great luck with Wagner brake wheel cylinders. I will be glad when GM finally finds a vendor that can make a DOM extruded steel master that has a straight and true bore with the seals installed correctly.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom