Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Clutch Issue after hard accel.

Corvette
1999 Torch Red Coupe
Just started having this issue - only after I go for an aggressive ride - revving the engine over 4500 or so through the gears, the clutch pedal doesnt return right away. This happens on the highway or just getting on it and running it up through the first few gears.

The clutch / pedal goes back to normal in a few seconds after I slow down and it will be normal until I go for another "hard run".

The clutch never slips and the car has 31000 miles on it. The fluid is topped off in the resivour and I cant see any leaks any where. The fluid also lookes clean.

Any thoughts?

I don't know what causes it either, but my 03 Z does the same thing, it has done it since I bought it with 11000 miles on it, usually I just pump the clutch pedal once or twice and it is good. maybe some one can give us an answer.
Steve

flush and refill the clutch fluid with the new gm dot 4 fluid.

Could also be air in the system. When heated it would expand and cause more of sponge felling. Bleed the system and install bleed tube so that next time you don't have to remove torque tube housing.

Just started having this issue - only after I go for an aggressive ride - revving the engine over 4500 or so through the gears, the clutch pedal doesnt return right away. This happens on the highway or just getting on it and running it up through the first few gears.

The clutch / pedal goes back to normal in a few seconds after I slow down and it will be normal until I go for another "hard run".

The clutch never slips and the car has 31000 miles on it. The fluid is topped off in the resivour and I cant see any leaks any where. The fluid also lookes clean.

Any thoughts?

Overheated clutch. OEM clutch is not made for agressive driving. This could also cause your fluid to overheat causing you not to have any clutch pedal "feel". Once it has cooled down everything goes back to normal. The thing to do is to replace your clutch with a heavy duty model. This is what I was told by my mechanic.

HI there,
This is incorrect.
The stock clutches are NOT engineered for constant DRAGSTRIP useage, but agressive driving is not a problem. Its all going to depend on the driver and how they use it.
There have been a few different causes for the sticking clutch pedal issue.
1, fluid age and moisture contamination.
2, Clutch pressure plate fingers not being even, creating side sticking of the concentric slave cylinder.
3, aftermarket headers overheating the clutch line fluid, creating boiling and therefore air in the line.
4, worn out pilot bearing
In my personal service stable, stock clutches used at autocrossing and track events will last over 100k, right now I have 3.
Clutch fluid, should be replaced every 2 years/24000 miles unless tracked, then every year.
P/N 88959960 is the GM clutch fluid that should be used.
This is an upgraded fluid from your original part number in the owners manual.
When you check the fluid, do NOT open the clutch master, simply shine a flash light behind the master and you can see your clutch fluid level.
You can also do this for your brake master cylinder.
Allthebest, c4c5

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom