Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Clutch Longevity & Replacement Options

silver98

Corvette
1998 Sebring Silver Coupe
Hi everyone. I know this question is riddled with variables, but from experience, what would you say is the longevity of the C5 clutch?
With that stated, how about some loose parameters:
1) OEM Clutch Ass'y
2) No 'abuse', now I realize that is a vague term we all define differently :D , but not driving it like I'm going to Church, nor like a 16 year old either.

Part two:
When it does require repair / replacement, would you:
1) replace with OEM
2) replace with an after-market, heavy duty, racing, etc

Part three:
1) $$?

I am not in need of one now, but as I formulate a long term strategy for maintenance, mods, tires ($$) and budget, I thought it might be helpful to get a general idea.

:w

Thanks,
Joe

HI there,
I have a few different customers with over 100k on c5.
97 coupe, 105300 with the original clutch. Never changed and run hard, no drag strip driving.
2002 ZO6, 121900 with the original clutch, and driven road course consistantly. No drag strip either.
2000 coupe, 54210, on the second clutch. Drives drags, autocross and road course. The drags are what killed the first clutch. When I replaced it, I use a ZO6 clutch, from 2003. This part number is completely interchangeable and works very well. He has 11k on the Z clutch.
Cost, the assembly, which includes flywheel, driven friction disc and the pressure plate run about $500. Slave cylinder and throw out bearing are one assembly $140. Roller pilot bearing is about $15. Labor is about 5 hours, plus the wheel alignment that is necessary afterwards because the rear subframe is removed.
Hope this helps, c4c5:hb

Thanks! That's exactly the kind of info I was hoping to find. I owe you a few:beer .

Joe

My 1999 C5, Corsa Indy, Hypertech, big K&N and Z06 size Supercar tires and has 30,000 mile on the clock. I've never run this car at the drags or on the street. I've tried three burn outs to see how the tires hook up. First with the EMTs and got some wheel spin and a good start. The next two were with the Supercar tires and one was on a wet road. 4000 RPM and dropped the clutch, nothing but clutch slip during both starts. I backed off as soon as I realized the clutch was slipping and not the tires. The clutch is still feels good/normal under normal to hard driving. No clutch problems since but I know that the stock clutch won't hold to this type of abuse.

I wonder what a good aftermarket upgrade clutch would be??? I have experienced my clutch being the weakest link to traction also.

How about another option, using the C6 clutch and shifter?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom