Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Clutch Master/Slave Cylinder?

timmb001

Corvette
1996 Black LT4
I was asked by my wife to run to the store Sat morning for something she needed… Great! (an early morning drive in the Vette.) I’ll do it. Went to back out of the garage – Depress the clutch (it seemed a little funny) goes to the floor and feels really soft. Anyway, car rolls backwards allowing me to get into first and take off, clutch engages just off the floor, I mean JUST off the floor. Shifting into 2nd, 3rd left me with that "this is right feeling." So I get to the store p/u the stuff she wanted and return to the car. Go to back out of the parking place and clutch feels like it should, normal. Goes into Reverse, notfunny feeling like when I left the house. Parked car in garage. Didnt have time to look into the problem Searched here for Clutch threads Sat night. Car sat Sunday all day...as wife reserved time on Sunday to watch NASCAR race w/ me.

Get into car this morning (Monday) and the same thing happens – wont go into reverse - the funny feeling is back. Drive it to work and go to back into a parking place – no problem, clutch is not on the floor goes into gear w/o a hitch.

So here is my question:

What do you think it might be?

Here are the specs on car - ~69k miles on it. Car only doing this thing when attempting to go into reverse first thing in AM or cold…and that only lasts a little while – I am only on the road about 15 min till I’m at work

It is a 1996 LT4 that is 100% stock and not “raced” driven daily only about 14 miles plus “honey do’s (trips to store, pick up daughter…)

I don’t think it is the "clutch" as when I am rolling down the freeway in 6th (65 – 70 mph) I can floor it and there is no lag or RPM increase the car just jumps up in speed.

It is my understanding that there is a CLUTCH master and slave but where are they located?

How do I determine if one or both are going. I have read that there is a place to add fluid but am not sure where to do that. Any ideas?

Thank you for your help.

Timm

Oh one thing - I did notice - I used to hear a tranny while when in neutral and clutch out - step on clutch noise went away. i was tond that this was normal for these trannys. Does not do that now - noise is still there but stepping onthe clutch does not cause it to stop.

check the fluid first.

-Pop the hood
-on the drivers side, you will see the computer (metal box, above the battery)
-you need to loosen the bolts that hold it in place (I think there are 3 of them)
-very carefully flip it over and onto the windshield area
-below it is a small container that holds the fluid. it is a milky white color with a black top
-make sure it is full... it may be as simple as being low (although, this is usually a sign of a problem)

There are problems with the master, the slave, and the connector between the two of them. Many times, the fluid will leak out onto your foot as you shift... a drop here and there.

My shoes seem to be clean - but I will take a look when i get home - what info on fluid if any - should i just go with GM clutch fluid?

clutch fluid

Hi,

Use DOT 3 brake fluid to fill it up. My collectors edition LT4 is in the shop with the same problem you speak of. My slave cylinder was leaking all the fluid out on the drive way. Vettelt193 is correct if your fluid is low you have some type of problem either master or slave cylinder. Good luck with the clutch.

I just replaced my entire clutch, fly wheel and everything. I wouldn't wish that bill on my worst enemy LOL...

Vette96ce Jim

Vette96CE said:
Hi,

Use DOT 3 brake fluid to fill it up. My collectors edition LT4 is in the shop with the same problem you speak of. My slave cylinder was leaking all the fluid out on the drive way. Vettelt193 is correct if your fluid is low you have some type of problem either master or slave cylinder. Good luck with the clutch.

I just replaced my entire clutch, fly wheel and everything. I wouldn't wish that bill on my worst enemy LOL...

Vette96ce Jim
LOL... that was a premium when my '93 clutch went (both my master and slave went at the same time). The other thing is, if either the master or slave goes, just replace them both (and the connection between them). the labor is virtually the same, and you can pretty much bet that that the one that is still working is about to die anyway, since they have both been used the exact same amount of cycles etc.

So here is the latest update -

I dropped by local Chevy dealer and picked up Clutch Fluid - got home to take a look.

Removed ECM and open Clutch Master Cyl. It was almost empty so i filled it and now have pedal. That leads me to wonder what happened to the fluid. So it is sounding like i need to replace both Maser and Slave to be sure the problem is fixed....

Has anyone done this? How bad a job is it? Does the Batt need to come out to remove Clutch Master Cyl? Will I need a rack to get access to Slave?

Any details would be great.

I have read that some of these parts have been discontinued - any info on that?

thank you again.

There was an article in Vette or Corvette fever back a while ago about changing them both... You may want to do a search on them via the web, you may be able to pull a back issue. From what i remember, it was a good article with pictures.

I have not personally done the job, I paid to have mine done last time. I think it ran me $600.... but I had a good guy at the time who gave me parts for cost, and labor @ $25/hour. cash deal:) At normal GM prices, I am betting $1,000, so the attempt to do it yourself is probably a wise one;)

i think i will - i have now everything (parts) , except the time - So I will find some of that and document it (with Pics) so that those who need that info can have something to work from.

Thank you all for your help.

Argh, this is the exact post i was interested in reading. I have the same problem. I have to refill that little container with break fluid about once every 1-1.5 months. its a pain to undo that computer thing and get my hands in there to unscrew the cap. I can tell when its low, as i have trouble shifting. Once its refilled, i'm fine. Where does the fluid typically leak from? I dont have any drips on my shoes. it must be a very small leak, i park in the same general spot and haven't noticed a huge puddle of fluid. Does it leak while driving? Shifting?

I'm not looking forward to the bill for this one I just got new tires and new breaks. I'm not made of money either.:(

John

To bad you're on the wrong coast...we could make a weekend of it....I went to drive mine this morning and had the pedal go all the way to the floor as well. I've been re-filling the reservior for months - and noting the date and milage when I do so...the milage and dates have been getting closer and closer - down to about 3 weeks now. Funny thing is I cant see any leak either - but that stuff is going somewhere. Guess I'll just throw new parts at it and call it good. Is the dealer the only place to get replacement parts or can you get them from regular auto-parts stores ??

I just replaced my slave cylinder last month. After you connect the clutch line, hold the bleed valve higher than the rest of the unit and let the fluid simply gravity feed down the line and fill the slave cylinder while someone pours new fluid into the clutch master. DO NOT press clutch pedal while slave cylinder is not bolted to bell housing, otherwise plunger seals may be destroyed. After good steady stream of fluid is coming out of the cylinder, tighten valve and reinstall. Clutch should be fine.

I just did both on my 96 had exhaust off making it easier got slave and master from rockauto.com for 169.00 it was leaking under dash on carpet.Not real difficult must remove battery.Good luck Kevin.

OK, folks, I just had this same thing happen- trouble shifting, clutch grabbing just millimeters off the floorboard. Checked the reservoir, and sure enough it was low. Topped it off and everything's good again.

Here's my question though- there's a rubber hat-looking thing under the cap that my FSM refers to as a moisture barrier. That thing is huge! It takes up most of the space in the container, so that there is actually very little fluid in there. Is it supposed to be like that? Could I have the wrong part there?

I thought that maybe it should be like the one in the brake master cylinder reservoir, that folds up, then expands to compensate for lost fluid. This thing does not fold up in any way that I could fidure out. Could it have been "extended" for so long that the folds have gone away?

Thanks very much for your comments!

Barry

[

Is it supposed to be like that?
Yes, the reservoir holds very little fluid. When adding fluid (there are 2 lines on reservoir) fill to lower line.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom