Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Clutch Pedal pivot rod repair

jackfit

Corvette
66 Roadster Glen Green/Saddle
I had started out for NYC last week to join the Scandinavians in a send off of starting their Lincoln Highway Tour 2013.

As you recall, my pedal was heading left. Well about 3 miles away from home the pedal came off. Tow truck brought it back home and I was in my other car and off to NYC. I was fortunate not to have it break in the middle of CT or MA.

Once back home I took on the job of repairing the pedal. I ordered a new pivot rod and had it welded back on to pedal. The following pictures will give you an idea what it looks like to do the repair.

First you have to take out the seat and steering column 1/2 hour

You have to take off the clutch spring and cover along with the column hardware . You can see the column hole in firewall . Also notice the bolts that hold the master brake cylinder and two above hold the pedal assembly to firewall

Column out complete , do not take apart , just pull out after removing under cluster supports.

Parts laid out on table. column parts in order , pedal assembly

Broken pivot rod and replacement rod inserted in pedal

Original Capacitor for brake lights

Pedal installed into assembly

The bushings used are the plastic ones use also in the headlights and convertible top latch assembly. Just re grease and insert pedal pivot rod and re-clip

All done . Total time about 4 hours without rushing.

Great job!

Great ref pix's!

Clutch Pedal Pivot Rod Repair Additional information

Great ref pix's!

But wait there is more !

There is more to it. Tim on the NCRS asked me about the replacement rod. I have some more to add to my post . Here is is

Jack

Hi, yes you can buy just the rod. It is about $15 from Zip vs $70-85 for complete pedal, without pin plate for clutch rod.

But back to your question. The rod as you can see has a machined end that is rectangular. Mine broke off after 150.000 miles , as I replaced the rod 35 years ago. They are only good for 150,000 miles.

I ground off the weld spot down to pedal surface. Just popped out piece of rod still in pedal. The stamped slot in pedal was perfect with no distortion.

If the pedal is bent or the slot is distorted, I would have gotten a new pedal. The rod is a press fit and I gently hammered it in to butt up against pedal.

Unfortunately , they machined the slot for the clip about 1/8 " to close to pedal. When you butt the rod against pedal for maximum strength and put the pedal back in the assembly, the clip slot can not be seen , not allowing the clip to be put back on.

So you have to back it out about until you can see the slot to clip. When you do this, the rod barrel is 1/16 " + away from flush with pedal, allowing the flexing of shaft over time , leading to breakage. Since I will be dead long before it breaks , I did not machine the clip slot out 1/8 ".

They must be using the same dimensions from 35 years ago, and they were wrong then and are now....

Jack

That looks like quite a project. I'm not a big fan of working under the dash any more. Just don't bend like I used to.

Is your exhaust wrapped? It almost looks like flexible tubing.

Tom

Welding photos

That looks like quite a project. I'm not a big fan of working under the dash any more. Just don't bend like I used to.

Is your exhaust wrapped? It almost looks like flexible tubing.

Tom

Yes Tom, it is wrapped. I first wrapped the header pipes with foil insulation, then slipped over the pipe a clothes dryer tube of 4 '. It protects the insulation and air moves through it so no rust builds up. The temp difference is 500* plus on pipe above wrap. 150* where wrapped. The flex tube goes from top of header pipe to first joint at trans mount. Then continues for 4 more feet after joint. Stops all the heat under seat and tunnel area, very cheap fix.

Now for clutch repair photos of welding

I found the photos of the welding of the pivot rod to the Clutch pedal. Special thanks to Cottage Road Service Center, in South Portland , ME for the weld. Dan did the work. I take my regular cars to them and my corvette for special projects that require a lift or welding.

Parts on welding table

Dan ready to fire up the welder

Put back in pedal assembly

Dan with finished assembly

Looks good.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom