Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

clutch question??

L

LT4Mike

Where should the clutch start grabbing at on a 96 LT4? Mine does not engage until the pedal is all the way up. The dealer assured me that the clutch was good and this was normal. However my friends are all telling me this is a sign of a bad clutch. What do you guys think?
Thanks
Mike

I have an auto vette, but I have had a few sticks and I would say the clutch should start grabing at the bottom of the pedal.

Thanks Jeepie, any other ideas anyone else? Where do your clutches start grabbing, is this normal or not?
Thanks
Mike

It's normal for a 96. If the clutch is not slipping or burning, it's still good.

My 92 clutch starts engaging about half way.

My 96 did not engage until about 3/4 up on the pedal.

Probably something to do with the way the later C4's hydralic throwout bearing is set up. As long as you can't make the clutch slip under throttle, it's working okay.

Mine 93 has 24 k mi on this clutch and it grabs maybe 1/2 way out. When I replaced the old one, I think it grabbed sooner if anything.

I think when my clutch was new I was complaining about it like you are--the mechanic said it can't be adjusted, but I think he bled out more (air) and it was better.

It's hard to remember.

For sure, now, it starts engaging 1/2 way out, not at the floor, and not all the way out.

How old it the fluid.. have you flushed it?

Also the Slkave cylinder could be the culprit. when I swapped clutches in my vette it grabbed higher then before, I think it is the Slave cylinder but have not changed it yet.

My 95 grabs about 3/4 as Tuna stated. I was concerned that this was going bad, but the dealer assured me it was fine. He also stated that if it isn't slipping then you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

As I understand it, the clutch is self-adjusting. As the clutch wears the clutch adjusts itself so that you engage at the same point. The downside of this is that you don't know the clutch is going to go until it is pretty much gone, not much of a warning. Maybe someone can verify how this was explained to me. I'd hate to be surprised.

Leon

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom