Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Clutch

jseremba

Corvette
1989 Blue Z51 6 spd Manual Transmission
I have just been informed that my 1989 Z51 needs a flywheel, clutch, throw out bearing, pressure plate and slave cylinder. Any suggestions on the ones I should buy.

The car is a daily driver. Once maybe twice a year it may seem some performance driving. It is a bone stock L98 may get some horsepower but not more than 300, eventually.

So with that information can someone please help me.

Thank you

Jegs or Rock Auto. Depends on how much you want to spend.

Jegs or R.
ock Auto. Depends on how much you want to spend.

Thank you. It looks like Rock Auto wil fit the bill. But, I need help on ordering the part. So tomorrow I will c all them. Thanks again

Just be sure you get the correct flywheel and clutch arrangement. I remember hearing somewhere here that certain models had 2 piece flywheels. Not sure if it applies to yours, but better safe than sorry. Rock Auto and Jeggs both have good customer support, so they would know. But.......

Keep in mind,..I don't recognize any of the brand names at Rock Auto. Might want to check out Jegs. Good Luck

Just be sure you get the correct flywheel and clutch arrangement. I remember hearing somewhere here that certain models had 2 piece flywheels. Not sure if it applies to yours, but better safe than sorry.

AFAIK the dual-mass flywheel was not used except behind the 6 speed transmission which I didn't think was available on your car. If yours has a 4+3 then I'm assuming your takes a conventional flywheel but others can confirm that better than I can.

AFAIK the dual-mass flywheel was not used except behind the 6 speed transmission which I didn't think was available on your car. If yours has a 4+3 then I'm assuming your takes a conventional flywheel but others can confirm that better than I can.

My car was the first year to get the six speed. It has a dual mass flywheel. But, I am changing it out. I am using Rhino-Pac parts. My trans guy said he has never heard of them. But, two or three reviews I read said they are good parts. In any event I told my trans guy. Look at the parts if he does not like them. We will send them back. Thank you for the help.

Be aware that without the dual mass flywheel setup (no longer available) you may very likely have gear clatter at hot idle in neutral with the clutch engaged. This does not mean there is anything wrong.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom