Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Code 71?

ScubaSteve

Corvette
1996 Arctic White Coupe
Hello everyone,

I recently picked up a '96 vette and had a question... When I first got it there was a cracked connecter from the alternator which was keeping the battery from charging. I believe this was the cause of the "sys" light and other electrical oddities based on what I've read here.

So that got fixed, then I found that the battery still wasn't charging... I put it on a battery tender and it wouldn't charge past 11.2 volts. So I replaced the battery.

Now she starts up perfectly! But I still get the "sys" light and after about 30 minutes of driving the service light comes on too... I followed the information I found here to get the codes and the only one that shows up is "71" in the first block of codes (ccm module?). This is down from the 4 or 5 I was getting when the battery was pretty dead, but the problem is that every code list I've found goes from 70 to 72. Can't seem to find a listing for 71?

So can anyone enlighten me? Or am I in for a trip to the dealership? :)

Thanks!

Code 71 could be from the CCM, module 1 for LCD dimming. There is also a code 71 from the DERM.

Don't know much about this situation, but the 95 FSM suggests you cover the ambient light sensor with a dark piece of tape, turn parking lights "on" & see if the dimmer control operates correctly.

I'd also check the fuses relative to interior lighting, etc.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom