Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Code Readers/Scanners??

Donne Trav

Corvette
1994 Blk/Blk
What Code Readers/Scanners are you guys using on your vehicles?
I'm looking for a "good" one for under $200 for my "94 6 spd LT1.
Thank you all.
thumbsup.gif

Thank you all.
thumbsup.gif

The only "good" scanners that support 94 Vettes for under 200 bucks are going to be used. Look for a used TECH 1 with 1994 software or one of the Actrons which supports OBD cars.

The only "good" scanners that support 94 Vettes for under 200 bucks are going to be used. Look for a used TECH 1 with 1994 software or one of the Actrons which supports OBD cars.

I agree with Hib, unless you ante up for a professional grade tool you may as well stick with the paperclip method of retrieving codes.

While a Tech 1 would be the cats meow, I think you need to do a bit more than read codes. An older OBD1 scanner will read codes, clear codes and most important log a number of engine and body functions.

Actron would work. Also Auto XRay (I have the 5000) but these don't seem to be supported any longer, however that might make them pretty cheap to get.

The other choice you have is computer based solutions. TTS Datamaster will scan and log your 94. LT1 Edit (Carputing) will also. Datamaster is logging only and LT1Edit will both log and program. I also recall pcmcomm.exe was a free logging program if you can locate that somewhere online. Enjoy.

Whoops. Forgot to add these all will likely have a aldl connector to the old OBD1 aldl. You have OBD1 with a OBD2 aldl connector. Ebay is full off cables to convert the two. When I had my 94 I used a pretty robust piece but these cables seem to work and are in the 15$ range.

Last edited:
Actron CP9145

I have a '94 Corvette as well, although mine's an automatic. I purchased the Actron CP9145 a couple of years ago. It reads my '94's OBD "1.5" just fine. I see Actron upgraded this unit to the CP9185, but it still says, "OBD I functionality – cables optional for ’84-’95 Ford,’84-’95 GM and ’89-’95 Chrysler vehicles". The regular OBDII cable works on mine. I see the CP9185 on eBay for $189 with free shipping.

You might want to check with Actron just to be sure, but I'd bet it would work just fine, and it does OBDII and CAN as well.

Thank you all.
thumbsup.gif

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom