Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

coil radio capacitator ?

entropy454

Corvette
1969 Fathom Green 427 4 speed coupe
Took my coil off my car. It looks pretty old and has surface rust on the bottom of it but the car ran fine with it. One thing I did notice was that there was a broken wire coming off the positive terminal.

I later figured out that it most likely came from a small shiny cylinder shaped capacitator that is mounted on the coil bracket.

Not many of the people I asked has any idea what it was but thanks to google, I seem to have narrowed it down. According to one site, if your car was equipped with a radio, a small capacitator was added. I guess to keep down noise from the coil in the radio.

Can anyone confirm that this is indead a capacitator for the radio?
Can I still purchase a replacement at any local parts store?

thanks

...Can anyone confirm that this is indead a capacitator for the radio? Can I still purchase a replacement at any local parts store?

Sounds like it. Does your car have a factory stereo? Most did. The aftermarket providers carry the capacitors.

Do you have the assembly instruction manual (AIM)? You will find it to be very useful.

:)

Yep I have the AIM , just got it recently on disc. Still sorting through it all. I think that is where I heard it mentioned.

The AIM will show the capacitor (probably in the U69/U79 options section) and will list the old original part number.

:)

Cool ill try to find it tomorrow in the AIM. I tried to get a replacement at a Carquest (parts store) and they had trouble finding it and than said they didn't carry it anymore.

Im slowly printing out the AIM oince I get it all printed out I'll look through it and see if I can find the part number. Doesnt everyone else have one of thse on thier cars? Hmm, I wonder if the part actually has a number stamped on it, I didnt even think of that. I was thinking of just bringing the thing into a parts store and see what they have. I don't think its a neccesity to have for the car to run normal.

Your car will be fine without it. GM installed that capacitor on the coil to help cut down on AM radio interference from the points. There's another one on the brake light switch. Unless you're looking for that 100% original look, toss that cap and be happy. Or if you really like AM radio. In any event, you can also use a standard ignition condenser in place of it and nobody will ever know.

Sounds like a good idea. The only problem I have come up so far on my initial search is that the ones Ive come across did't have enough wire to reach the positive on the coil.
Bringing the capacitator in with the wire I think will confirm which is the nearest to correct.

Save yourself ink and paper. Purchase a hard copy of the AIM. Most of them come punched for a 3 ring binder.
He's right...if you plan on printing out everything. The cost of a replacement ink cart nowadays is what you'll spend on the printed & punched hardcopy. (unless you are only printing specific pages and have a laser printer.) :)

I got it printed for free. So the price was right. :p

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom