Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Column Lock Motor Issue on 2005 C6

chipm6000

Corvette
2005 Malibu Blue Coupe
Evidently my column lock motor caused my C6 not to start the other evening. I see a lot of info on the C5 column lock issue, but nothing yet on the C6. Is this the same device as was used on the C5? Dealer had a hard time isolating the problem. Car now starts intermittently. Do I need to worry about it cutting out on me? Also, GM shows none of these locks available anywhere in the country....

I haven't heard of that issue with the C6. Steering wheel motor doesn't make sense. Did the dealer write out a service ticket? What does it say? We should get to the bottom of this. ;squint:

C6 Column Lock issue

Dealer has ordered a Steering Column lock. I noticed a few months before the car would not start that the "motor sound" under the dash (which I have now learned is the column lock motor) seemed a little sluggish. When the car did not start, there was no spin-up motor sound at the column. Evidently the CL motor did not respond. Car has started 6 times since I picked it up with no issue. Not sure if I need to worry about it locking up while I am driving like the reported issue on the C5s. Battery voltage at rest is 12.72 V (at terminals). Ideas? Not sure if the by-pass kits for the C5 will work on the C6 or not.... Still waiting for dealer to find spare part, or a Corvette mechanic to find one from salvage.

I haven't heard of that issue with the C6. Steering wheel motor doesn't make sense. Did the dealer write out a service ticket? What does it say? We should get to the bottom of this. ;squint:

Haven't heard of your particular issue before. There is a TSB on the C6 wiring harness that "pulls apart" from extension and retraction of the telescoping column. Causes "Active Handling" messages on DIC. Also will activate singular braking issues~ at any time! (Glad I was only going 25mph when my right front brake tried to put me into the curb!):W

I don't know if the C5 kit will work on the C6. I've never run into anyone that needed the by-pass. :ugh You may best wait for the new lock. That may be the entire problem.

C6 Service Column Lock

I have an early 2005 C6 that has a steering column lock. I removed the locking plate that the steering column lock engages with, thinking that binding of the locking pin in the plate was the problem. Binding is not the problem, the lock motor just does not actuate at times and thus does not report back to the engine computer that the steering column lock is disengaged and it is OK to start the engine. I believe the steering column lock is actuated by a jack screw type actuator, hence the "motor" sound when the steering column lock engages or disengages. A C5 Column Lock Simulator will not work on the C6 because the C6 lock has a ribbon cable going to it with no connector. I don't yet know where the other end of the ribbon cable is, somewhere way up inside the dash.
A couple of weekends ago, I was 50 miles from home when I went to start the car and got the "Service Column Lock" DTC, the car would not start for 10 hours until the steering column lock decided to finally actuate. My car is worthless until I find a fix for this problem. The Chevy dealers all tell me that my car does not have a steering column lock. When I bring the car in for service, the lock does not fail so as far as they are concerned, there is nothing wrong with the car. I have written to Chevrolet but have not received a reply.
Can anyone help?

Steering column lock - battery

The battery is new in my car, just replaced by the dealer, they checked the electrical system at the time and found everything to be normal. The steering column lock will work fine 5 or 6 times in a row then it won't work and it has taken anywhere from 10 minutes to 10 hours to self-correct/reset before the car will start again. I have been checking it (starting the car) every evening for the last few days without a problem, until this morning. I had a service appointment at my local Chevy dealer to look at the problem this morning, but the "Service Column Lock" DTC came up and the car would not try to start. My wife kept trying it after I left for work, the car started about an hour later.

I finally got the car into the dealer for service, had to tow it in. The dealer diagnosed it as a steering column lock failure, ordered a new part, the wrong part came in as this lock is not shown in their parts catalog (the lock for a C5 is shown). They were finally able to get the correct part number from Delphi and get a new lock. The new lock worked for less than 10 drives when it froze up again and left me stranded. I got the original lock from the dealer, took it apart and found the problem. The lock is mostly made of poor quality plastic and the actual pin that engages the locking ring is moved in and out via a worm screw that passes thru a block that trips a microswitch. The plastic worm screw binds in the plastic block, the drive motor current starts to rise and the computer detects the overcurrent and stops the process and issues a "Service Column Lock" DTC.
A Steering Column Lock Simulator for a C5 will not work on this lock because the signal from a C5 back to the computer is only open or closed circuit. The C6 is looking for a certain resistance when the steering column lock is engaged then a different resistance value when the lock is disengaged. I was able to build a working prototype steering column lock simulator for my C6 and am currently looking for the GM connector so that I can build a few C6 column lock simulators.

HI there,
If your battery voltage is low, YOU WILL HAVE A PROBLEM.

Your battery condition should be AT LEAST 12.5 volts and 500 CCA

Allthebest, c4c5

When we were on the '09 Caravan/15th Anniv I attended a seminar that covered C5/C6 common issues (don't remember the exact title of seminar) and it was presented by a top GM mechanic who specialized in Corvette (I think he was in New England area). Anyway, I remember him saying that C6's had to had at least 13.2 volts so operate normally. If not you would get trouble codes. I wrote down (in my shop at present) the exact numbers he gave out. There were a couple different numbers he stated. I remembered because the number was greater than 12 vdc. :) Are you a top level kinda guy? (GM tech?)

That was me who conducted that seminar.

The 13.2 was for alternator output at idle.

Allthebest, c4c5

:D Great to know....I was the guy who asked a couple questions regarding oil consumption during 'break-in'.....(if ya remember that well!!!)...Glad to know your on this site....what were the other numbers? you had also given the gm part numer for batteries and I am thinking that was the number I did not get....thanks...tim :beer

C6 Service Column Lock

Had this same problem with my 2005 C6 and it seems that the heat has alot to do with it too! Was going to make the homemade solution described in these threads. But an internet search has come up with a solution. It appears that www.corvetteworldparts.com has SCL bypass module already made up for 89.95. Web site has a video of how to install for all you DIY'ers like me. Will keep all interested in this posted as to the results.

The Ripper;)

Update!!! Installed the SCL Bypass. The video was very helpful. I would also suggest unhooking the other blue plug on the DIC. You have to have patience when unhooking these plugs. You also don't have to get the gauge cluster the whole way out. Just rotate it towards the drivers door (after getting it to the steering wheel) then follow the rest of the instructions. The Bypass module has worked well to this point after 1 week in. Left my car get well over 100 degrees inside and it started right up. Will post if problem arises with bypass module.

The Ripper:thumb

Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom