Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Considering C5 or ZO6

J

Jimmy Jam

I currently have an M3 which I enjoy tremendously but I want more HP. I have been considering a C5 corvette. What are the differences between the years. What mods can be done to the car for HP increases, CAI, chip, exhaust. And what about the ZO6 I mainly want this as a pure recreation and track car. Is there much difference between the two? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Welcome to the Corvette Action Center. This is a little off topic, but I'm curious how you like your M3? What year is it? Have you had any problems with it? I'm considering one down the road.

You're welcome to email your response or send me a private message if you don't want to post in this thread. Thanks! :)

M3

I love the M3 it is a great handling car with great road manners. I love the design and interior compared to Corvettes but unless you buy a new M3 you don't have the same HP. I drive at Road America and was really impressed watching the C5's on the track. As much as I love all the things about the M3 I don't want to shell out 50k for a new one. I have seen used Z06's going used for 35k which seems like quite a bargain for that much car. I by the way have a 97 M3 4 door. Big bonus it has a back seat.

Get the Zo6!

Where is it going for 35 grand?

I want one!

ZO6 in Acton

There is a yellow ZO6 at Colonial Chevy in Acton with 7K mi on the odometer. Dont know price. I believe its a 2001. I just bought a Tahoe there from Jim Keefe 978-263-1000.

Bob Levine
webmaster Corvettes United
http://www.corvettesunited.com

JB, watch ebay, there were two Z06s that went for 35-36 last week.

Welcome to CACC. If you want the power I would definately go for the Z06. It has the power and does very well on the track as it was made for it. The C5 is a great car as well, but it was not made for the track as the Z06 was. It does well, but for all out performance you would probably want the Z06. Good luck and Happy Holidays.

SurfnSun said:
JB, watch ebay, there were two Z06s that went for 35-36 last week.

Its funny..I have been watching Ebay..I can't believe the great prices on those cars..

Is it safe to buy one of those or are they usually flood or accident repairs?

I just find it such a strange buying experience (being 35 grand or more)

My one concern is what do I do with my present mint 21K 99 C5 A4..the car is immaculate and I can't seem to bring myself to sell this car off..

Its been a very good car..great reliablity..looks like it rolled off the showroom floor..I even took an extended 72 month warranty to avoid any potiential major issues should they pop up unexpectantly..

My strong suggestion is to get the zo6..it is the best that chevy has to offer..and eventually you'll most probably crave it..

Not because you need that extra .1th or 2...but because it exists..lol

I know it sounds crazy but I honestly think it starts to creep in at times..

I'm probably gonna get smacked for mentioning this but here goes. You say it will be a recreation car in addition to track. One big recreation plus that the Z06 is missing is the removable roof panel - what's off-track recreation in a Vette without the wind in your hair (for those who still have it). There are plenty of mods out there to boost LS1 vettes up but the Z06 would be more rigid with the fixed roof. As a cruiser, I just had to mention this. Best of luck on your hunt and keep us posted on the progress.

As you've already got an M3 and you want a track car, the only choice is the Z06. You won't be happy with an ordinary C5, even a Z51.

The Z06 is the only Corvette with limit handling and power/weight ratio comparable to the M3.

Buy an 02 with the 405hp engine. The extra 20hp is all up top.

For more info on the 02Z06, point your browser at:
http://www.c5registry.com/2k2z06/index.htm

Getting the power out of a modded ls1 isn't the issue either..its the total balance the zo6 has..

Go for the ZO6!

Z06. Z06, Z06, Z06.... :D

Can you tell I am just a little biased? :)

I have owned a 98 Coupe, and now a 2001 Z06. No comparison. The Z06 is a rocket compaired to the 98 which to me feels more like a smooth cruiser now.

If you want out and out performance right off the showroom floor, for the price I don't think you will find anything that has the all around performance that the Z06 has.
But keep in mind what this car was made for, it is a nice cruiser if you consider a Doberman makes a nice lap dog. Remember there is no sound insulation in the rear area, so you do get more road noise than the coupe or convertible. The exhaust note is more noticeable going up through the gears. However, it's music to the my ears! Only one power seat, and it's not the optional sport seat. But it does have good support.
By comparison, the chassis is much more refined and quieter than my 93 Z07 was.
I have had mine for about 2 1/2 weeks now, and it just keeps getting better. The first time I drove the car more than a couple of miles was bringing it home from the dealer. It was a 138 mile drive day/night drive consisting of Interstate, urban traffic, and country roads. It was more relaxing than my drive to the dealer in my Z07.
Stan
02 EB/Mod Red

I considered the C4's and C5's before purchasing my C5. I also wanted a convertable and therefore gave up the hp of the z06. I am tremendously impressed by the vehicle and once I do ever find limitations related to hp, handling or braking, I will upgrade. The first thing am looking at is cold air induction.

Personal preference must take priority

Good hunting

Z06

Rollin Black said:
Z06. Z06, Z06, Z06.... :D

Can you tell I am just a little biased? :)

I have owned a 98 Coupe, and now a 2001 Z06. No comparison. The Z06 is a rocket compaired to the 98 which to me feels more like a smooth cruiser now.

rollin black the z06 only has 55 more horsepower, A couple of mods and C5's are right in that range, personally I think the fixed coupe corvette's are ugly. A z06 is $8000 more brand new. I could supercharge my C5 and put $2000 in my pocket

Z06 for around 35k? Try carmax.com...they have them all the time.;)

Jimmy Jam said:
I currently have an M3 which I enjoy tremendously but I want more HP. I have been considering a C5 corvette. What are the differences between the years. What mods can be done to the car for HP increases, CAI, chip, exhaust. And what about the ZO6 I mainly want this as a pure recreation and track car. Is there much difference between the two? Any feedback would be appreciated.

If you want a track car, there's no question...go with a Z06. Further, you want an 04 with the better front upper control arm bushings and the new shock valving.

As for mods, the first thing I'd do before any changes is get used to the Z06 after the M3. Once you've got that down, I'd reset the alignment with a bit more camber at all four corners. I'd also buy some sticky road race tires...Kumhos are about the best.

Anyone else notice this thread was started two years ago? ;) I would hope he's made his decision by now. :)

Leon

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom