Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Convert from generator to 10Si GM alternator

Stemmer

Corvette
Hi....

I recently installed a new Lectric Limited wiring harness in my 1960 Corvette. This is an exact duplicate of the original Corvette wiring harness and uses a generator. However 20+ years ago I converted it over to an GM 3 wire alternator (10si) with internal voltage regulator.

Any suggestions on how to wire in the alternator?

Thanks muchly....

Stemmer (Kenmo on Corvetteforum)

Hi....

I recently installed a new Lectric Limited wiring harness in my 1960 Corvette. This is an exact duplicate of the original Corvette wiring harness and uses a generator. However 20+ years ago I converted it over to an GM 3 wire alternator (10si) with internal voltage regulator.

Thanks muchly....

I'm not sure exactly what is needed for the C1/C2s.... I've spent the last 15 years with C3s. Kinda lemons to limes (different but both citrus) so maybe this will inspire you.

I'd pass on the 10SI and go with the 88-91 C4's 105 amp unit. The housing is the same 12/6 o'clock positions as on the 10SIs o the C3s (not sure if you need a different housing- but lets assume you don't). You'll need to swap the pulley (they came as serp. belts) and then get a regulator pigtail.

If you have a chassis wiring diagram.... use it for guidance. What I think you'll need to do is to run the charge wire to the large positive pole, run a ground to the chassis (or OEM ground). I'm not sure is you have an idiot light, so I'm not sure what to tell you about keeping it from coming on. I can tell you how to wire it in lieu of the OEM system.

Truly, the C4's alternator is the best charging possible for little money (I was running H4 lamps, TPI, AC, and 400w of stereo power- NEVER dropped below 14v). Go to a stereo/radio store and buy several feet of monster cable and use it as your charge wire running back to the battery.

As for the regulator....using the the positive pole on the alternator as the source, crimp a hoop connector to the regulator's positive lead and snug it down.

In the picture below, you'll see the late model alternator running with a V-belt and a monster charge wire.

TPI_Nov_02.JPG

It's a 1960 Vette.

No Vette's I know of uses idiot lights in lieu of gauges.

Other then that I really don't understand anything you posted other then I should use a C4 alternator, something I have no intentions of entertaining...

Cheers

Ken

Ken:

If you converted the original harness to accept an alternator previously then you could follow the original conversion and repeat it on the newer harness, no?

Rich

The old harness was pulled and put in the trashcan. It's probably somewhere somewhere at the city dump....

It's a 1960 Vette.

No Vette's I know of uses idiot lights in lieu of gauges.

Other then that I really don't understand anything you posted other then I should use a C4 alternator, something I have no intentions of entertaining...

Cheers

Ken

Huh. Okay. I guess I was anything but helpful to you. My mistake. I didn't mean to insult you or your choice of alternators. The 10SI is very capable- if it meets your needs.
;shrug

I've attached a diagram for you. I realize what year your Vette is and that I have no clue what your old harness looked like. I'm trying to be helpful. Please don't discount my efforts. So as you know, I've done a lot of custom work installing fuel injection systems, stereos, late model electrical components, and such into all sorts of cars- let alone into Corvettes. On my 1980, I went with a completely custom harness that I had to wire into the car. So, I'm very comfortable with electrical systems.

My 1980 and my old 1978 did have a light that would go on if the voltage dropped. It was a low battery light- or idiot light- as I've stated. It had a gauge too. I didn't mean to insult you with an idiot light reference- just a slang expression.

My diagram has two possible solutions. The one on the left skips the factory wiring entirely. The one on the right uses an OEM wire. Do you know which wire is supposed to go to the alternator- I'm not trying to be sarcastic- I'm only asking if it was labeled.

attachment.php

Hi....

Thanks muchly....

Call Lectric Limited - they make adapter harnesses for just what you're doing, and can make the main harness from the beginning for alternator applications if you order it that way.

:beer

Plasticman on Corvetteforum was able to provide me with very valuable information and I've wired it according to his instructions...

Thanks to all who replied...

Stemmer aka Kenmo

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom