Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Convertible or Coupe - Which is best?

Classysue said:
I am looking for my first vette, I love verts and found that two tops are/were avaliable does the hard top have to have been ordered for the C4 at the time or is it something that can be found today If I buy a C4 vert?

I definitely like a convertible better (and a 6 speed), but my car is a weekend toy and not a daily driver.

Classysue - my 90 came with a removable top that I took off 1 1/2 years ago when I got the car and haven't put back on and maybe never will. It sits in my garage and I have thought about selling it.

I have seen them sell on eBay for around $1200 but the shipping must be expensive. The place where I bought my car had a few too.

When on, the removable top makes the car look different than a regular coupe and some people like the look better, but it's all individual taste. Hope this helps.

rwpeders said:
I have always favored the convertable, because I love the top down ride but so many more buy the coup I have wondered what the appeal is. So, if I buy a new corvette, which is better and why?

Looooove my coupe, but I can tell you this....
With a 'vert, you get a trunk! With the coupe, you get a storage hole and rear space you have to hide stuff in. And with the targa top back there too, space is very, very limited. With the targa top outta the coupe, you get body flex. There are aftermarket braces you can buy.
Just depends on what you want. Both are great! :w

I test drove a triple white ’93 vert and was amazed at how “calm” the car was with the top down. I was able to take it out on the highway and in local 35-45 mph traffic zones. With it’s top down, the vert did not have the reverb at highway speed that my coupe has with the targa top removed. I attribute it to the wind flowing into and around the coupes storage area and B-Pillar.

I was pretty impressed... it was stable, tracked well, and most of all, it was FUN!

B17Crew
:w

When I went searching for my vette is was a topless or nothing. If you are going to cruise in a nice vette, nothing like letting the top down and have the wind in your hair, or in my case, the wind ripping above your bald spot. Verts hold thier value better, are more sportier, and impress the rest.

Definitely prefer the coupe. With a solid roof, performance (handling) is better. You don't see to many 'vert's on the racetrack.

I went coupe for 2 reasons: Storage space and racing potential. You can autocross a vert, but if you go up any levels, they start requiring a roll bar and such.
A full drop top is cool, but cruising at night, targa off, windows down... the stars can't tell the difference, they still wink at you. :)

Thanks for the info. I agree I like the look of the hardtop on the vert, and off. Its a different look then the coupes and Targa's so I'm going to go with the different look, because, well I like to be special!! My husband has a ZR1. He has a special vette and so will I. LOL

Always had a vert. My wife always goes topless when she can. Although at her age it's not always a pretty sight.Count me in on verts for all the good reasons!

I have both the vert and coupe and I like the vert most because of the hardtop mostly for the looks I guess!
morecarpics001.jpg

Hey Classysue -

Factory hardtops were available for later C4's, and were typically a $2000.00 option. My Ruby vert came with one from the factory and I really like it. A C4 hardtop did not "have" to be ordered with the car in order for you to have one now. At times I have seen them for sale on ebay and they typically sell for at least $1,000.00 plus you may have to have the top painted to match your car once you purchase it. There is an aftermarket company by the name of Smoothline that sells aftermarket tops for C4 cars, but they are a bit different than the factory supplied tops. The factory tops contain an integrated roll bar and weigh in at around 75 lbs. The Smoothline tops do not have the integrated roll bar and weigh less. The styling of the Smoothline tops is also a bit "off" in my opinion....they just don't look like a factory top.

Hope this help. :)

Classysue said:
I am looking for my first vette, I love verts and found that two tops are/were avaliable does the hard top have to have been ordered for the C4 at the time or is it something that can be found today If I buy a C4 vert?

I prefer the looks of the coupe. Plus if you take off the top, its as enjoyable as a convertible. My wife owns a convertible car, not a vette, but she loves it. But the top hardly ever comes down during our summers in Phoenix. Fall, winter and spring fairly regularly. I especially like the looks of the 05-06 corvette coupes.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom