Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Converting an LT1 into LT4 Hot cam setup

EmsFather

Corvette
1993 Quasar Metallic Blue LT1 Coupe
Has anyone changed their LT1 setup to the GM Performance LT4 Hot Cam Setup? Though the promos guarantee 425 crank HP,to insure I get there, I am also going with a bigger TB, 58mm vs the 52mm, 32 lb. injectors vs. 24 lb injectors, the Edelbrock LT4 Intake, Hooker Shorties, K&N air filter, .030 over making it a 355, and a chip burned for the application. My compression will go up a bit to around 10.7:1 too. There will be a rev limited built into the chip to avoid any mistakes. The car will be an M6 with 3:45 gears too. Just curious if anyone has gone this route or what they think of it. The car comes out next week. Also got brand new rods and a new crank.

What heads are you running with the LT4 intake?
I suspect if you are doing all those mods there are other cam choices better suited.
The Hot cam only gets .525 lift with the 1.6 rockers; so as you are changing the cam you could drop in something with 525 or more lift on the cam and have the potential to run more lift later by installing 1.6 rockers.
The 58mm TB is not really needed on a 355 build

What heads are you running with the LT4 intake?
I suspect if you are doing all those mods there are other cam choices better suited.
The Hot cam only gets .525 lift with the 1.6 rockers; so as you are changing the cam you could drop in something with 525 or more lift on the cam and have the potential to run more lift later by installing 1.6 rockers.
The 58mm TB is not really needed on a 355 build

I liked the Hot Cam setup. mainly because it was not too wild and noisy. I am running the LT 4 heads, 1.94 exhaust., etc.. I originally posted about this setup earlier this year but wound up having to redo it because the original mechanic almost destroyed the motor. After the car started drinking oil, I took it elsewhere. They took off the manifold and found that the first mechanic left a towel in the lifter bay. When the motor was torn down, #6 cylinder had a 60% leakage, the honing on the motor was awful, the lack of lubrication scored the crank and I needed to replace the crank and rods plus now I had to bore the motor out to make it run right. It has been a night mare since May.

Pretty sure the LT1 TB is 48mm, wondering why shorties, instead of long tube headers?

You should see 400+hp easily, 32lb FI's are a little big, but if you are going to modify more, they should be great.

One suggestion, find a tuner locally, that way he can tune the car w/Datamaster or some such tool and get all the HP and TQ possible.

I did a LT1 to LT4 + Hot Cam comversion a few years back on a '92 LT1 6-speed car. I bought the "conversion kit" from gmpartsdirect.com - LT4 heads, LT4 intake, LT4 Hot plus a new Opti. Using the stock 48mm TB and the '92 injectors (24# as I recall), stock exhaust manifolds, Corsa cat back exhaust and a new chip from fastchips.com, the car chassis dyno'ed at 328 at the rear wheels.
I sold the car before I got around to installing the bigger throttle body and larger injectors (28#) but I think 350 at the rear wheels would have been easy. That's probably a bit over 400 HP at the crank. You might do better, you might not.
Headers would help some.

Has anyone changed their LT1 setup to the GM Performance LT4 Hot Cam Setup? Though the promos guarantee 425 crank HP,to insure I get there, I am also going with a bigger TB, 58mm vs the 52mm, 32 lb. injectors vs. 24 lb injectors, the Edelbrock LT4 Intake, Hooker Shorties, K&N air filter, .030 over making it a 355, and a chip burned for the application. My compression will go up a bit to around 10.7:1 too. There will be a rev limited built into the chip to avoid any mistakes. The car will be an M6 with 3:45 gears too. Just curious if anyone has gone this route or what they think of it. The car comes out next week. Also got brand new rods and a new crank.

bad news on the shortys...word is they dont do any more than cast iron

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom