Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

"cooked" auto tranny?

C'mon Vigman, start a "cheesiest repair" thread!

My cheesiest repair was done with a McDonalds cardboard drink cup holder! ;)

If you start the thread, I'll post my story! :L
Heidi

Perfect

A wise plan.

( read my cheese post!)

Mike

1 of a few... I have to unpack my bad memories file for this.

Mike

Bottom line is this follow what the manufaturer says, Drop the trany pan, clean-out the pan replace the tranny filter and top-up with a good quality trany fluid and you are done for another 3 years or 60K miles. Period

Blast from the Past!

This thread is just over 2 years old! :eek

Here is what we wound up doing:
I could not find a tranny pan with a drain, nor could I find a drain I wanted to install. Instead we left the pan on and fixed up a 'sucker' to remove the fluid.

Sucker system:
Shop vac, tall 5 gal. bucket w/ lid, small diameter clear hose and duct tape.

We cut two holes in the bucket lid, one each for the shop vac hose and the small diameter clear hose and used duct tape to seal. Fed the clear hose down the tranny dip stick tube until it reached the pan and then turned on the shop vac. This pulled the tranny fluid into the bucket. We did this twice over a period of about 5 months.

My fluid looks just fine and my 250k-miles original tranny is operating like a champ.
Plans in the future are to replace or upgrade the brakes/rotors and I also want to have my th350 rebuilt and re-installed. Kenny wants a shift kit in it, I really think it is fine as it is.
Heidi

If you are smelling that brunt oil smell it is way passed the time to change the fluid, but maybe not that late. If it is still working fine that is the best indicator.

I have raced with autos for several years and the dark color is nornal for over heated fluid. You will most likely find a thin layer of black silt on the bottom on the pan when it is removed. Your is smelling bad and that not the best sign, but maybe not that bad. I have seen this before and what I do is:

1st. Change the fluid and filter. Clean the pan very well.

2nd. put 500 - 1000 miles on it and do the whole thing over again.

Next things to think about is HEAT. With the shift kit you are increasing the pressures in the trans and there by uping the temps. Check to make sure the trans cooling section of the radiator is clear and flowing correctly. If you are not sure or if you drive a lot in high temps in your area; add an external cooler. Since you live down south the extra cooler would be a good idea anyway. The worst thing for a auto trans is HEAT. Poor or bad fluid add to this problem.

If you drive it hard or in hot weather a lot, this shortens the life of the fluid and the trans if not taken care of. If I were you I would change the fluid and filter, drive it awhile and change it again and see what happens.

Well I guess that about my 02 1/2 cents worth.

Gary

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom