Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Cool Mod for Rag Top guys!

69MyWay

Corvette
1969 Killer Shark
Okay guys, I am closing in on this thing. One of the "process" jobs was to finish the convertible top lid. I glued the weatherstrip on yesterday and today applied this cool coating. What this is here is Eurothane truck bed liner sprayed from a body shultz style (under coating) gun. This is the same stuff I sprayed in the floor, on the floor, and in the inner most fender wells.

Here is the idea. It looks nice and is durable. It will withstand abuse and people sitting on it (parades). The semi gloss finish will reduce glare in the rear window when the top is up and the sun is shining in.

You can do this mod for about $50 (including buying a cheap body shultz gun), some masking tape, paper, and scotch bright pad to rough up the old paint surface.

MVC-010S.JPG

BTW, they sell this stuff in custom colors as well. You can inquire about these coatings at you local auto paint jobber supply company.

Hi
Do you have a pic with the lid installed and the rag top stowed that shows the colour ?
Wouldn't the clear plastic sheet, clearestatic sells, have done the same job ?
Just curious on how this looks like installed.
The lid is a very visible surface with the top stowed and that's 99 % of my driving time.
Gunther

This one is a head scratcher for me, but at least you are on the way to getting some coverage for your interior. I got sprinkled on but only lightly last Tues nite at the car show so hauled butt for home just in time.
I bought that protective strip kit for use with hardtop & convertible top for my new paint.

Are you driving the 69, to break in the motor yet?

Well, this idea is not new. The 3rd generation camaro and firebird convertibles came with a vinyl/plastic cover to do the same thing. The C4 convertibles come with a a vinyl/plastic black colored insert to do the same thing. I have noticed way to many C3 rag tops with terrible paint damage all around the interior inside lip where the seats and other things have been bouncing off the edge. This bedliner stuff is so tough, that won't hurt it.

Plus, it just breaks things up a bit. We just bolted it up a few minutes ago and hooked up the stereo subs. For the first time we got a good listen of the tunes instead of all the hardware and tools rattling around in the rear compartment. Oh, we got the rear carpet and silver heat lining in as well. The carpet seems to fit pretty bad right now but I imagine it will lay down better out in the heat.

No John, it has yet to see the road. Still waiting on a few other things before I finish the brake in and take her for a spin.

Getting closer though.

Still working on the shot gun approach to putting the parts that I have in boxes on the car so there is less clutter in the garage.

Here are some shots installed. I am not uploading them to my homepage, so I am just attaching here.

Looking better all the time. Those hoops with the curvy seats (still red) are a mighty tempting
functional upgrade.
And the gauges sure stand out, being white faced. I will have to get use to the deck idea I guess.
Any bites on the 90 motor?

Black Thunder said:
Looking better all the time. Those hoops with the curvy seats (still red) are a mighty tempting
functional upgrade.
And the gauges sure stand out, being white faced. I will have to get use to the deck idea I guess.
Any bites on the 90 motor?

It makes a much better impression in person, and is different from the average bear.

I will get the seats recovered in the next couple of months. No sense getting fresh material on them and then climbing in and out of it getting them dirty.

I have not really tried to sell the 90 motor. A fellow up north was wanting it to do a V8 Fiero, but he ran into a $$$ money bind.

I am still on the fence about keeping it so that I could always swap it back in the car, or just selling it.

Wow,
werry special. Unfortunately not my taste.
But the roll bars:_rock
This roll bar makes it look so modern, absolutely marvelous.
Dad, buy me one of them.
Gunther

Every time I see it, it looks better and better!
The rollbars are very sweet! and I love the gauges.

Nice work!

I like it!

I think using the truck bed liner coating is a great idea. However, I don't see much room for the girls' legs to fit between the rollbars during parade rides! :L I guess they'll have to be really skinny.

If we ever get a 'vert, I think we'll follow along behind you and make that particular modification, too. High wear & tear-ability and easy touch up.
Sil

ps...I especially love the paint job, it looks like you can fall in!

I will be pulling the roll bars out soon to install the carpet. I will take some pics of them out on the floor and that way you guys can get your own ides from what you see.

Heidi nailed it. There is limited room between the seats, but it looks so cool, that I don't care. Plus, the added safety of the bars and somewhere solid to attach the seatbelt is a big plus.

Roll Bars

God forbid you ever roll it.... but If you do, you'll love 'em.

My sister-in-law's brother just rolled his Dodge Dakota pick-up.
It is a convertible, but it has a rollbar. Good thing! Else it would have pancaked on top of him!

It gives your car a Daytona-ish look to it.

Looks great!

great idea

Chris:
Great idea. Like Silver, I might do same if I ever get a vert. For years, I've thought of many uses for that material/process. Never tried it, but I wonder if it'd be any good for a shower stall lining ... for a ss install where standard size stalls won't fit?
JACK:gap

This kind of coating is becoming more popular for all sorts of things. For example, we have a couple of 4x4 trucks running around town now and one jeep (yellow) that is coated on the entire exterior.

I saw a sweet old T-bucket in the the process of being built that had the entire inner body done to cut down on noise, rust, etc.
I have been seeing trunks (for big stereo guys) being done to increase the audio/insulation for the boom box. I have been seeing floor boards on all sorts of cars on the bottom side being done. It comes in a variety of colors.

Now, it appears they are spraying it on houses as well. I am sure there is some difference in the mixture, but they are guarnteeing it for 50 years and suggesting it is better and faster than vinyl or aluminum siding.

I love the feeling it has to the skin. It is smooth, yet textured.

I am going to do the spare tire carrier in it as well to give it a nice semi gloss look that is easy to wash off.

Re: great idea

Jack said:
Chris:
Great idea. Like Silver, I might do same if I ever get a vert. For years, I've thought of many uses for that material/process. Never tried it, but I wonder if it'd be any good for a shower stall lining ... for a ss install where standard size stalls won't fit?

We have a neighbor who is a general contractor and he is planning on doing exactly that for his downstairs (wash off the "guy" dirt) shower. I think it would be good to use Durock as the backer (I can't remember if he did that or just greenboard).

Barb :w

for Barb

/ Barb:...We have a neighbor who is a general contractor and he is planning on doing exactly that for his downstairs (wash off the "guy" dirt) shower. I think it would be good to use Durock as the backer (I can't remember if he did that or just greenboard).

Hey Barb! Cool! How 'bout update me in a month or so ... lemme know how your neighbor likes it & what backer he used?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom