Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Coolant, and capacity of Lt4

Larry McIntosh

Corvette
1996 LT-4 Collectors Edition
I am getting ready to change the coolant in my LT4 CE. It has 50,000 miles on it. I wondering if I should use distilled water, and what is the capacity. Thanks Larry;help

This is what I would do.

Drain radiator. Lift front of Vette. Remove knock sensors from each side of block. Remove wiring plug FIRST! Be careful of hot antifreeze splashing down on you!

If you want to flush the system, now is the time. After engine cools, refill with water and flush additive. Run until hot. Drain radiator and block.

15 quart capacity. Definitely use distilled water for refill.

Let engine cool a bit. Install equal parts of antifreeze and distilled water slowly through expansion tank located on passenger side near windshield.

If you run the engine long enough, the air should purge through the expansion tank. If you think you still have an air pocket (could not put in 15 quarts of fluid), then use the bleeder screws found on the front of the engine.

Good luck!

WHILE YOU ARE CHANGING YOUR FLUID, DON'T FORGET TO SAVE THE :w!

This is what I would do.

Drain radiator. Lift front of Vette. Remove knock sensors from each side of block. Remove wiring plug FIRST! Be careful of hot antifreeze splashing down on you!

If you want to flush the system, now is the time. After engine cools, refill with water and flush additive. Run until hot. Drain radiator and block.

15 quart capacity. Definitely use distilled water for refill.

Let engine cool a bit. Install equal parts of antifreeze and distilled water slowly through expansion tank located on passenger side near windshield.

If you run the engine long enough, the air should purge through the expansion tank. If you think you still have an air pocket (could not put in 15 quarts of fluid), then use the bleeder screws found on the front of the engine.

Good luck!

WHILE YOU ARE CHANGING YOUR FLUID, DON'T FORGET TO SAVE THE :w!
;helpI'm installing a new intake gasket on my 84, it has an intermittent leak on the rear passenger side, and figured that I should flush and change the coolant. I am also going to change the thermostat -my car actually takes way too long to warm up and that seems to keep it fast idling too long.
Is the capacity the same for the 84 and do I use the same steps-knock sensors?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom