Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Coolant system all went to hell!

larry bud

Corvette
1986 "Speed Yellow" Coupe
This is wild. I replaced the water pump 2 months ago, and found a hole in one of the major hoses, and replaced a couple of the other hoses at the same time.

Then about a week ago I noticed a coolant smell, and another hose (passenger side, by the EGR pipe) was leaking, so I replaced that. Coolant level kept going down, so I checked it out, and noticed a bunch of coolant dripping from the radiator. While checking that out, it was also leaking through the gasket where the thermostat is located!

Geez, I can't believe this happened all at once!

Aww man just get used to it if your a new owner of the car. Thought mine was in great shape when I got it too, then one by one, month by month things started goin'. Ya learn to love workin' on it or it'll drive ya crazy :L

Rule of thumb for radiator hoses - if one goes, they all need to be replaced.

Sounds like the fresh coolant after the water pump change cleaned out all the gunk in there that was keeping it from leaking in all the new places. What a mess! Another reminder to clean and flush coolant systems on a regular basis.

Good luck.

I would also keep a close eye on your engine oil. My bro ran into the problem. The previous owner did not change the coolant on a regular basis. When we got the car it was on the to do list. So we did it, and shortly thereafter the head gasket let loose. The engine had to be pulled and rebuilt. So just a thought for you to throw around. If you catch it early it wont be nearly as bad. Who knows it may not happen to you.

Good luck

Craig

Me too!
My thermostat started opening very slowly so I replaced it with one of those 160 degree versions with a lower temp fan switch, 200 degrees I think. As I had predicted the car does not run cooler only takes longer to warm up but in a warm climate it still runs 200 degrees or so. Fans actually come on about 205 according to the gauge. On cool days the fans never come on because of not using that 190 degree thermostat.

Anyway, my tale of woe. I cannot get the thermostat housing to stop leaking. I had to drill out the rear bolt but that was just a lot of work, no particular problems. But since then no matter what gasket I put on it the end result, after a few days, is it starts leaking. I am tempted to put stop leak in it but I hate using stop leak. Maybe that aluminum thermostat housing is warped or something. When I remove the gaskets the ends seem to be cut off from the rest of the gasket. Not sure what to try next.

So I am sympathetic to your problems, I never had leaking problems until I had to work on that housing.
Has anyone ever tried a steel thermostat housing? Are they available?

I hope we can both get these gaskets to stop leaking but I am losing patience with it. I can't have it leaking in the garage because I have two dogs and they have to go through there to get to their outside doings.

I hope we get some answers......................

boblx2a said:
Me too!
My thermostat started opening very slowly so I replaced it with one of those 160 degree versions with a lower temp fan switch, 200 degrees I think. As I had predicted the car does not run cooler only takes longer to warm up but in a warm climate it still runs 200 degrees or so. Fans actually come on about 205 according to the gauge. On cool days the fans never come on because of not using that 190 degree thermostat.

Theres little point to changing to a 160 therm but a 200 degree fan setting. If the rest of the cooling system is in normal shape, having a manual fan switch will keeps things much cooler.

RIght, this goes back to a scam that was being sold to both the Corvette and Fiero communities about lowering temperature of the water going through the throttel body and thus increasing your hp because lower temperature air is more dense. I never believed it but I had to replace the stat anyway so I used a 160 with 200 degree fans hoping it would run just a shade cooler. Well the far up side is cooler. I have never seen my up side go to 240 degrees in traffic like it used to do. But the average running temp is about the same. You are right though, manual switches are the best.

Now if I can just get that housing to quit leaking! :)

Bob, does your car use the rubber o-ring around the outer diamter of the stat or a paper gasket?

You gotta make certain that if it was designed to use the "O" Ring you use an "O" ring. Make certain there is no air below where the thermostat goes.

Just because you get a paper gasket with with the thermostat doesn't mean you use it. If you model is designed to use the paper gasket, put the gasket down with a little bit of blue silicone on each side, but let it set 15 to 20 minutes before you apply the cover and bolt it down. Use a fairly broad washer and ensure that both the seat surface on the manifold and the cover are straight and true. (A carpenter's square and feeler guage can be used here.)

lone73 said:
Bob, does your car use the rubber o-ring around the outer diamter of the stat or a paper gasket?
No "O" ring, it has the paper gasket. I did however, after several failed attempts with the paper gasket, obtain a silican gasket with an "O" ring top and bottom. That lasted for about a week befor it also began to leak. I re-tightened the bolts and once again it started leaking. That is why I am begining to think that the housing may be warped.

taegdh said:
You gotta make certain that if it was designed to use the "O" Ring you use an "O" ring. Make certain there is no air below where the thermostat goes.

Just because you get a paper gasket with with the thermostat doesn't mean you use it. If you model is designed to use the paper gasket, put the gasket down with a little bit of blue silicone on each side, but let it set 15 to 20 minutes before you apply the cover and bolt it down. Use a fairly broad washer and ensure that both the seat surface on the manifold and the cover are straight and true. (A carpenter's square and feeler guage can be used here.)
It was not designed for an "O" ring. My '55 Chevy (with a '75 engine) has an "O" ring so I know what it looks like.
I did not try the blue silicone though. I am going to check the trueness of the surfaces this time when I pull it off. I am betting that the housing is not true.

Thanks for the help............Bob

housing

Sounds like you're right - warped housing.
If you figure out that it's trash you might try taking a few thousandths off the mating surface using a piece of 220 grit paper and a very flat surface. Lay the paper down on the surface grit side up, then the housing- face down. Run the housing back and forth using even pressure on all sides. I've fixed a few parts using that method before. It's a bit of a bubba approach but might save you some time finding another part.

Good luck with it
lone73

lone73 said:
Sounds like you're right - warped housing.
If you figure out that it's trash you might try taking a few thousandths off the mating surface using a piece of 220 grit paper and a very flat surface. Lay the paper down on the surface grit side up, then the housing- face down. Run the housing back and forth using even pressure on all sides. I've fixed a few parts using that method before. It's a bit of a bubba approach but might save you some time finding another part.

Good luck with it
lone73

Well I am not sure it is the housing but it is the only thing I have not replaced. This problem is pretty insidious, it goes for a few days and you think it is fixed and suddenly it leaves anti-freeze all over the garage floor. :( I have to get this leak stopped or this Vette has to go. This is my last gasp effort. I am going to replace the housing and a tough gasket and use that blue silicon stuff. After that if it leaks it either goes to a dealer (never thought I would say that!) or it starts living outside. I can't have my dogs getting into anti-freeze.

To think this whole nightmare started when my thermostat began sticking, then the bolts were frozen (of course!) then I had to drill one of them out.... and the beat goes on! I have replaced transmissions in less time then it has taken to cure this.

I'll let you know how it works out. RIght now it is not looking good.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom