Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Cooling problem

thank you Wayne, guess that is good enough for me. I will get out of this thread now. just put up some gallery pics. http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/gallery/

I think it'll be alright. If you want it lower, a cooler thermostat will probally be the way to go.

zachh

A guy gets his left arm and left leg amputated........... now hes alright.

I think it'll be alright. If you want it lower, a cooler thermostat will probally be the way to go.

A lower-rated thermostat won't change anything - it has nothing to do with controlling the upper end of operating temperature; the thermostat only controls the MINIMUM operating temperature, such as in the winter for good heater operation or if the cooling system is capable of cooling the engine down BELOW the thermostat's rating.

If he has a 180* thermostat in it and it's running at 200* on the highway, the thermostat is already wide open. Only two things determine the upper end operating temperature - the heat rejection capability of the radiator, and the amount of airflow through it. If the chin spoiler is in place and the front of the radiator isn't obstructed, he's operating at the ragged edge of the radiator's cooling capacity.

However, 200* on the highway in 100* ambients isn't the end of the world, and won't hurt anything - there just isn't any margin left (assuming the gauge accuracy has been verified with an I.R. gun shot of the upper radiator hose). Many Corvette temp gauges read high, especially if the original temp sender has been replaced (the replacements all cause gauge readings from 10*-40* higher than the original sending unit). Always verify the gauge reading first.

:beer

Thank you JohnZ for your opinion, guess I should have gotten a better aluminum radiator rather than just the stock one. My guages are Nordskog digital and all the senders came with the guages. I'll just live with what I have. Thanks again.

Thank you JohnZ for your opinion, guess I should have gotten a better aluminum radiator rather than just the stock one. My guages are Nordskog digital and all the senders came with the guages. I'll just live with what I have. Thanks again.

I'd still have someone with an I.R. gun shoot the upper radiator hose just above the thermostat housing and compare that reading against the gauge reading at the same time, so you know what the gauge is really telling you - you may not have a problem at all.

:beer

I hope Stallion got his question answered after his thread was hijacked.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom