Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Correct radio for a 1972 coupe

try2pas

Corvette
1972- original; 1980 - restomod; 2016 - Z06
The radio in my '72 doesn't really fit in there right and obviously isn't the original radio. Would the original radio say corvette on it or not? Is the '72 correct radio chrome or black? Any other features I should be looking for when replacing the radio that is in there now to not only look original but be modern in other ways too such as digital etc.

...Would the original radio say corvette on it or not?...

No.

...Is the '72 correct radio chrome or black?...

Chrome bezel and buttons; black dial face. Chrome slider bar for band selection. Black and chrome nested knobs. Your owner's manual will show the stock radio and tell you how to operate it.

...Any other features I should be looking for when replacing the radio that is in there now...

All C3 radios are two piece units through 76. They require a separate final audio output transistor which GM calls a "convector assembly." The assembly instruction manual (AIM) shows the installation of the convector assembly, where it mounts, and how it plugs up. Your original assembly might still be in the car behind the passenger's dash panel.

Stereos require two final output transistors (left and right channels).

Stock units will not work without a convector assembly.

If PhotoBucket was running, I would post pics, but I haven't been able to get into PhotoBucket for a couple of days now.

PhotoBucket showed up.
100_1278.jpg

The convector assembly is sitting on top of the radio.

Typical installation of the convector:
jan1mess015.jpg

One type of convector for stereo (two transistors):
FullVetteClean002.jpg

:thumb

Ihave one

I jsut pulled my original radio out of my 72 coupe. I installed my EFI ocntroller in the radio spot so I won't be needing the factory radio for anything. It worked before I took it out (of course local radio stations to rura lAlabama suck).

If you are looking for one, and want it, shoot me an email with an offer.

macc_curby@yahoo.com

Jeff

Tardy to the party, but there is a third piece to the U-79 stereo radio. Not sure what the piece is called, but it's like an amp like unit that mounts to the right of the windshield defroster duct. The amp unit has a 6 prong shielded cable that plugs into the rear of the stereo radio. The right hand dash speaker plugs into the amp unit while the left hand dash speaker plugs into the radio. For my '72 coupe, the stereo convector unit appears to be the same as one used for a regular radio.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom