Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

GM Press Release: Corvette Stingray: 3.8 seconds from 0 to 60 mph

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
Corvette Stingray: 3.8 seconds from 0 to 60 mph

Turns in 2:51.8 lap at Virginia International Raceway ‘Grand Course’

2013-06-20
GM Media

DETROIT –Chevrolet released official performance estimates today for the 2014 Corvette Stingray, the most capable standard Corvette ever. Equipped with the available Z51 Performance Package, the new Stingray is capable of accelerating from 0 to 60 mph in 3.8 seconds, braking from 60 to 0 in 107 feet, and sustaining 1.03 g in cornering.

Cumulatively, the acceleration, cornering and braking capability of the Corvette Stingray enabled it to lap the Virginia International Raceway’s (VIR) 4.2-mile “Grand Course” in 2:51.78.

“For the new Stingray, we set out to elevate every aspect of the Corvette’s performance,” said Tadge Juechter, Corvette chief engineer. “Considered alone, the acceleration, braking and cornering performance of the Corvette Stingray is truly impressive. More significant is how well they work together, resulting in a lap time at VIR that places the new Stingray in the upper echelon of all sports cars.”
2014 Corvette Stingray Z51
Acceleration from 0-60 MPH3.8 seconds
¼ mile acceleration12 seconds @ 119 mph
Braking distance from 60 to 0 MPH107 feet
Maximum lateral acceleration1.03 G
VIR ‘Grand Course’ Lap2:51.78

<tbody>
</tbody>

The lap around VIR was conducted in Stingray equipped with the available Z51 Performance Package and Magnetic Ride Control. The vehicle that conducted the lap was modified only with safety features like a racing seat and harness, and fire extinguisher system.

“The new Stingray constantly communicates feedback to the driver, which makes you feel incredibly confident behind the wheel,” said Jim Mero, Corvette vehicle dynamics engineer. “That confidence encourages you to attack each corner because the Stingray drives so well: the tire grip is incredible; the steering response is some of the best I’ve ever experienced; the Magnetic Ride dampers allow little body roll through the corner, while still soaking up the rumble strips when you clip the apex,” he said. “It’s just addictive on the track.”

The 2014 Corvette Stingray coupe goes on sale in the third quarter of 2013 for a suggested starting retail price of $51,995, excluding tax, title, and license fees. The $2,800 Z51 Performance Package includes an electronic limited-slip differential; dry-sump oiling system; integral brake, differential and transmission cooling; as well as a unique aero package that further improves high-speed stability. Magnetic Ride Control with Performance Traction Management is a $1,795 option. A Corvette Stingray equipped like the test car used at VIR would cost $56,590.

About Chevrolet
Founded in 1911 in Detroit, Chevrolet is now one of the world’s largest car brands, doing business in more than 140 countries and selling more than 4.5 million cars and trucks a year. Chevrolet provides customers with fuel-efficient vehicles that feature spirited performance, expressive design, and high quality. More information on Chevrolet models can be found at www.chevrolet.com.

# # #

• Admin
Sweeeeet.... :cool

Impressive. How does that lap time at VIR compare to a Z06 ? (And braking, etc.)

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

Impressive. How does that lap time at VIR compare to a Z06 ? (And braking, etc.)

<tbody>
</tbody>

Virginia International Raceway lap records - FastestLaps.com

I don't know how current it that site is, but there is at least one entry for 2013, so it's somewhat current.
A time of 2:51.78 makes it the 6th fastest car listed. For being a relatively "stock" Corvette, this puts the car in very special company!

UPDATE:
According to the same site (reference), a 2005 Z06 (C6) did the lap in 2:58.20.

Last edited:
Just a little bit more info on the subject- :upthumbs

DETROIT –
The 2014 Corvette Stingray’s all-new LT1 6.2L V-8 engine is SAE-certified at 460 horsepower (343 kW) at 6,000 rpm and 465 lb-ft of torque (630 Nm) at 4,600 rpm, with the available performance exhaust system, Chevrolet announced today.

The Stingray is SAE-certified at 455 horsepower (339 kW) and 460 lb-ft (624 Nm) with the standard exhaust system. They are the highest standard power ratings ever for the Corvette, delivered with efficiency that is expected to exceed 26 mpg on the highway.
“The 2014 Corvette Stingray’s LT1 engine is a triumph of advanced technology, delivering more power and torque than ever before with greater efficiency,” said Jordan Lee, Small Block chief engineer.
“The LT1’s performance complements the Corvette’s low mass with a tremendous feeling of power that builds as the rpm climbs. Drivers will experience more power and acceleration than ever before with the standard engine – in fact, its power and torque surpass many uplevel engines offered by competitors.”
At 74 horsepower per liter, the LT1 has greater power density than the C6 Corvette’s LS3 6.2L engine and even the C6 Z06’s racing-derived 7.0L LS7. It also produces comparable torque to the LS7 – up to 4,700 rpm – and its peak torque is within 5 lb-ft of the 7.0L engine. That torque is generated early and sustained across the rpm band, with 316 lb-ft available at only 1,000 rpm and 90 percent of peak torque available from 3,000 rpm to 5,500 rpm – giving the lightweight Corvette Stingray excellent acceleration at all speeds.

To read the whole article go to: 2014 Corvette Stingray Cranks Out 460 Horsepower

Kelly J.
Chevrolet Customer Care

• Admin
Just a little bit more info on the subject- :upthumbs

DETROIT –
The 2014 Corvette Stingray’s all-new LT1 6.2L V-8 engine is SAE-certified at 460 horsepower (343 kW) at 6,000 rpm and 465 lb-ft of torque (630 Nm) at 4,600 rpm, with the available performance exhaust system, Chevrolet announced today.

The Stingray is SAE-certified at 455 horsepower (339 kW) and 460 lb-ft (624 Nm) with the standard exhaust system. They are the highest standard power ratings ever for the Corvette, delivered with efficiency that is expected to exceed 26 mpg on the highway.
“The 2014 Corvette Stingray’s LT1 engine is a triumph of advanced technology, delivering more power and torque than ever before with greater efficiency,” said Jordan Lee, Small Block chief engineer.
“The LT1’s performance complements the Corvette’s low mass with a tremendous feeling of power that builds as the rpm climbs. Drivers will experience more power and acceleration than ever before with the standard engine – in fact, its power and torque surpass many uplevel engines offered by competitors.”
At 74 horsepower per liter, the LT1 has greater power density than the C6 Corvette’s LS3 6.2L engine and even the C6 Z06’s racing-derived 7.0L LS7. It also produces comparable torque to the LS7 – up to 4,700 rpm – and its peak torque is within 5 lb-ft of the 7.0L engine. That torque is generated early and sustained across the rpm band, with 316 lb-ft available at only 1,000 rpm and 90 percent of peak torque available from 3,000 rpm to 5,500 rpm – giving the lightweight Corvette Stingray excellent acceleration at all speeds.

To read the whole article go to: 2014 Corvette Stingray Cranks Out 460 Horsepower

Kelly J.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Thanks Kelly! :thumb

I took a look at the fast times at VIR and noted the following:

Year run</SPAN>
Car</SPAN>
Time</SPAN>
2008</SPAN>
ZR1 </SPAN>
02:45.6</SPAN>
2011</SPAN>
ZO6/ZO7</SPAN>
02:53.5</SPAN>
2005</SPAN>
ZO6</SPAN>
02:58.8</SPAN>
2008</SPAN>
Z51 </SPAN>
03:01.2</SPAN>
2011</SPAN>
V Coupe</SPAN>
03:04.2</SPAN>
2009</SPAN>
V Sedan</SPAN>
03:04.0</SPAN>

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

The ZR1 is top dog on their chart. The reported C7 Z51 time of 2:51 is better than both ZO6s and not far off the ZR1s time.

I included a couple of times for another car I love - the CTS V series - pretty good times for a 4200# car..
On the V-Net, a post shows a stock CTS V Coupe turning an 11.97 quarter at 116.9 MPH.

I am also wondering which transmission GM used for the acceleration tests and the road course run?
Auto or Manual or are do both perform the same?

Last edited:
I just have a hard time seeing this car getting below 4.0sec. 0-60 when you have to shift, the Z06 and ZR1 do not have to shift.

We will know soon about the exact capabilities. When the car mags get production car to test with instruments the truth will set us free. I think the new model will crack 4 seconds consistently. With driver aids like rev matching, the average driver should be able to do what used to be possible only with test drivers. We shall see.

This is just marketing the LT1 is 6% more power than the LS3 90% peak torque is 3400 to 6000 for about the same span as the LT1 just higher and 90% peak for the LS7 is from 3200 to about 6200. You noticed they did not talk about HP/pound the LT1 loses that one. All this really means is that they are all about the same but they have to say something to get you to buy one, until people get a hold of real production cars and do test you will never know but my guess is they will all be very close.

This is just marketing the LT1 is 6% more power than the LS3 90% peak torque is 3400 to 6000 for about the same span as the LT1 just higher and 90% peak for the LS7 is from 3200 to about 6200. You noticed they did not talk about HP/pound the LT1 loses that one. All this really means is that they are all about the same but they have to say something to get you to buy one, until people get a hold of real production cars and do test you will never know but my guess is they will all be very close.

It is true that the LT1 is heavier than an LS3 because of the addition of: 1) the cylinder deac hardware and 2) the VVT hardware, but the engine being heavier because of that can't be considered a failure on GM Powertrain's part. Those addition of those items were driven by government regulation.

When you say "This is just marketing..." do you mean GM's acceleration numbers are: inflated and created by Chevrolet's marketing department rather than from actual testing?

Also, I'm interested even more in your overall point of your statements in this thread.

Are you trying to tell us that, from a performance standpoint, the C7 Corvette is no better than a C6?

0-60mph in 3.8 sec according to GM numbers

I just have a hard time seeing this car getting below 4.0sec. 0-60 when you have to shift, the Z06 and ZR1 do not have to shift.

What Dave is stating here is a very good point. GM in the past has overstated performance numbers a time or two. Lets remember, they are in the business of selling cars.

As I understand, this new car will come thru the door over 70G's hitting 75g's or higher. The performance numbers provided by GM for this price vehicle seem a little pricey. If you want the newest
Corvette on the market, buy this one, If you are into improving a cars performance, this is not the car to buy. The word is GM has pushed this cars performance to the viable limits. It will be
sometime before any after market performance group comes up with any kits for this car. They will have to speed a ton on research. I believe that there is a better way to go if you fit
this category. On the surface, a good C6 Z06 would a better purchase and you would not have to spend over 60g's for a low mileage unit. A number of less expensive "Add-On's" will push this car
to well over 565hp. Enough ponies for 95% of all of us that drive these cars.

From my personal point of view, I think this car is over priced for what you get. But then I am not in the business of selling cars like GM. The Corvette is slowly moving toward pricing itself
out of the market that the current average buyer can afford. Hope this day does not come but if it does, GM can only blame itself!

Hope to live to see the 2017 Corvette be produced in the form we see it now, not a chopped up version with a small force-feed engine that may not rival the early L98 or LT1's.

Edmunds tested the Vette with their instrumentation, and essentially verified GM's figures. Since it was a pre-regular production car, no hard judgment can be made, but it appears GM is putting out honest figures. Again, we will see when production cars are tested by the mags with their own instruments.

As I understand, this new car will come thru the door over 70G's hitting 75g's or higher. The word is GM has pushed this cars performance to the viable limits. It will be
sometime before any after market performance group comes up with any kits for this car..
I disagree on those two comments.
I don't see where the base model is going to start at $70K. Maybe if someone tacks on a bunch of RPOs, then yeah, possibly you're into mid-$60K's. The first post in this thread quotes the car at a $52K MSRP. If you have a dealer that wants to tack on their own upcharges, then find another dealer who's not being so greedy.
I also find it hard to believe that Calloway, Lingenfelter, Mallet, etc won't be able to do yet more crazy hi-po upgrades to the car. GM has typically not built their engines to their physical limits because they can more closely predict its longevity by keeping them well under those limits and they also know the supertuners will continue to tweak it.

Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom