Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

News: Could a mid-engine Corvette called the “Zora” be in the works?

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
All the indicators seem to point in that direction. Will it actually come to light? That, we'll have to wait and see.

I think that it would be great for GM to have a Zora edition corvette. But if you make it an entirely new corvette, what happens next? Then there would be two "Corvettes", a front-engine and a mid-engine. Does Corvette become it's own brand? Which one would be the "entry level" Corvette?

I hope it happens.

Rear/mid engine cars are expensive to produce and maintain. I don't know how many current owners will be buyers at well north of $100K. GM could do what Ford did with the GT. have a specialty firm build it, and keep it out of BG.. GM would still be on the hook for all the special tooling and parts design/fab. Let's hope it would be an adjunct, not a replacement for the "traditional" front engine, rear drive cars we all love.

.....................On the other hand, the Zora may just be another decal and paint edition like the Ron Fellows and Wil Cooksey Z06s.

.....................On the other hand, the Zora may just be another decal and paint edition like the Ron Fellows and Wil Cooksey Z06s.
That sounds more likely than a rear or mid-engine model.

Mac

Rear/mid engine cars are expensive to produce and maintain.

Although it is flywheel HP, reliability with 460 or 638 min will be a challenge to package. Designing components which can "take it" is easier than packaging them into a Corvette.
A differentiating AWD system adds more components; the higher the input torque, the more stout the components must be. Packaging would be a challenge. However, a two stage turbo and a V6 would free up some real estate and easily make serious V8 level power. It GM does it, it will be interesting to see a curaway picture of the drivetrain.

I don't know how many current owners will be buyers at well north of $100K.

Well north is stating it nicely. :thumb:thumb

I'm thinking a hybrid similar to the 918 or LaFerrari - with the gas engine driving the rear wheels and an electric motor driving the front wheels.
650 HP LT4 in the rear, 250 HP electric up front, enough batteries in the tunnel to power it and you've got 900 HP at your beck and call.
Keeping it under 150K would be the real problem. Selling it under a Chevy bow-tie might be another.

While I truly admire the contributions that Zora made to Corvette, I'm really NOT interested in a mid engine car. I want a car that is practical for every day driving as well as long trips. Mid engine seems like the addition of complexity without any addition to utility.

It's funny how so many people I know talk about how great Porsche, Ferrari, and Lambo all are ... but NONE of them can afford those cars. So what are they driving? Usually mini-vans. When I watch the Ferrari's on Youtube (there just aren't that many to listen to or watch in rural Illinois!), the whiny noise their engines make just causes pain in my ears. Give me an American V8 going through the gears ... that's what I want to experience.

We're hoping to make the plunge from buying used Corvette's to buying a new one in about five years. I can guarantee you that if all they have is some midengined Eurocar, then I'll be looking to keep the C6, and find a nice 65 coupe to add to the stable.

Steven

While I truly admire the contributions that Zora made to Corvette, I'm really NOT interested in a mid engine car. I want a car that is practical for every day driving as well as long trips. Mid engine seems like the addition of complexity without any addition to utility.

It's funny how so many people I know talk about how great Porsche, Ferrari, and Lambo all are ... but NONE of them can afford those cars. So what are they driving? Usually mini-vans. When I watch the Ferrari's on Youtube (there just aren't that many to listen to or watch in rural Illinois!), the whiny noise their engines make just causes pain in my ears. Give me an American V8 going through the gears ... that's what I want to experience.

We're hoping to make the plunge from buying used Corvette's to buying a new one in about five years. I can guarantee you that if all they have is some midengined Eurocar, then I'll be looking to keep the C6, and find a nice 65 coupe to add to the stable.

Steven

I disagree somewhat. I would like to see a mid-engine Corvette. The only mid-engine car I've ever driven was a Fiero. Obviously it was no where near a McLaren or a Ferrari, but I really enjoyed the uniqueness of it. It may not be as practical as a Corvette and there is the loss of storage space in the rear, there is still some room under the front for some luggage. No golf clubs though.

There was one other mid-engine with an American V8 sold at Ford dealers in the early 70's. It's a car I wouldn't mind having either.
Pantera.jpg

Detomaso Pantera

;LOL GM has been dangling that Mid/Rear Engine Corvette carrot since the "Drastic design of the C3".., then the C4, then the C5 etc. I have owned Corvettes since 1978 (a 1967 Vert) and many others since. Seems this subject comes to light every few years and esp. when GM needs a bit of publicity, the good kind. Rumors of the V6 and an entry level Corvette have also been bantered about.. me thinks with invent of "Option Packages" one can get a Corvette at a price that give value for the dollar and those that want all the whistles and bells can be satisfied too.

As options became more and more desirable GM made them standard features... GM actually saved money by using the same wiring in all and it only cost a bit more to make Power Windows, Electric Lock Door std equip. My 1981 is the last of the manual lock doors, and manual seats :chuckle

Bottom line "Follow the Money" (bean counters that is ;LOL )

So to answer the question: Do I think the next generation will have a Mid/Rear Engine design... I don't think I will live long enough to see it happen :chuckle NO

Bud

You're probably right. I guess an option package makes more sense.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom