Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Cracked LCD, where to buy?

larry bud

Corvette
1986 "Speed Yellow" Coupe
Since I have the week off I thought I'd tackle some nagging problems on the vette. My dash ('86) has been flakey forever, flashing on and off, obvious ground problem.

I took it out and apart, down to the last board, and 3 of the pin connectors had cold solder joints. I resoldered and did a continuity test, every OK.

Putting the damn thing back together, I somehow cracked the glass on the center LCD, so now the last digit and a couple of the segments of the volt/coolant temp don't work.

Where can I buy this thing?

I am not sure exactly what it looks like inside, but you can buy seven segment displays and perhaps just replace that component.

Yeah, I really wasn't sure what it looked like. Technically I dont believe it is a true Liquid crystal display (LCD) it is more like a seven segment display each segment is like an LED in a sense. That is offcourse what I see when I look at my dash, unless the protective covering makes it look like that.

Yeah, I really wasn't sure what it looked like. Technically I dont believe it is a true Liquid crystal display (LCD) it is more like a seven segment display each segment is like an LED in a sense. That is offcourse what I see when I look at my dash, unless the protective covering makes it look like that.

No, it's really LCD. The colors come from translucent plastic that is colored for each segment that is behind the LCD. Then you have the 4 halogen lights that backlight the whole thing. The LCDs are actually negatives of what you'd nomally think of, in that when nothing is displayed, all segments are lit up, blocking the light from behind. When a 1 is displayed, the two segments that make up a 1 are turn OFF, allowing the light, (and the color) to come in from behind.

Ecklers or Mid America repair them or a speedo service the dealer would use. Expect to spend $400 $600 to fix it.

No, it's really LCD. The colors come from translucent plastic that is colored for each segment that is behind the LCD. Then you have the 4 halogen lights that backlight the whole thing. The LCDs are actually negatives of what you'd nomally think of, in that when nothing is displayed, all segments are lit up, blocking the light from behind. When a 1 is displayed, the two segments that make up a 1 are turn OFF, allowing the light, (and the color) to come in from behind.

Thats clever to know. If you buy a new one let me know I might be willing to buy the damaged one from you.

http://www.ebaymotors.com
Search on corvette lcd

The guy sells the center section for around $100.

I cracked the same LCD when I reassembled my cluster. There is a piece of metal that puts pressure on the top of the LCD to keep it in position. I ended up removing that metal piece.

Since I have the week off I thought I'd tackle some nagging problems on the vette. My dash ('86) has been flakey forever, flashing on and off, obvious ground problem.

I took it out and apart, down to the last board, and 3 of the pin connectors had cold solder joints. I resoldered and did a continuity test, every OK.

Putting the damn thing back together, I somehow cracked the glass on the center LCD, so now the last digit and a couple of the segments of the volt/coolant temp don't work.

Where can I buy this thing?

Maybe you already solved the problem but you can try www.unitedradio.com
They fixed my whole display for a very reasoble cost and I had it back in less than a week. Good luck.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom