Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

creating an L88 air cleaner for the fuel injection????

69MyWay

Corvette
1969 Killer Shark
I am having to custom build an L88 style air cleaner. I picked up a 3" thick by 14" diameter K&N air filter that will slip into the L88 hood, and a drop down chrome style 14" air cleaner base. I will find out tonight if it clears. I tried a regular chrome 14" air filter base this weekend, and it was just a tad too tall. The hood hit the filter base!

So, what I need to know (if it fits) is where do I get that thick black spongy foam rubber that has been used through the years on all sorts of cowl induction cars? I have tried the hardware store, and they don't have anything thick enough and rigid enough.

Where do I get this stuff?

I also need to make/get/install some kind of metal basket over the opening of the throttle body that would also hold down the base.

Thoughts?

closed cell foam

Hey mate

It's called closed cell foam, you can get it in any color shape and size that you want you want try these cat's .

www.rbx-oletex.com

good luck,

Goose I feel the need the need for speed!!!:drink :_rock

Thanks, I just sent them an e-mail.

I need a strip about 1"x1" by about 40" to glue to the air cleaner lower portion.

So far so good. I was able to fit the K&N into the hood with an extra rubber lip. I need to make up some creative little retainers to make sure it does not wiggle around.

I will check with a home air conditioning supply company on Thursday and see what they carry.

I found an L88 lower for mine at the Turkey rod Run for $20. It REALLY hugs the manifold and makes it difficult to run lines and plumbing!

Here's a pic of the L-88 drop base. It works perfect...clears everything. You can get repro's on E-bay for about $40-50. New one's I think are $90 from Zips etc. They were not exclusive to the L-88 though. They were used on the L-48's with the open air filter, LT-1's and some performance passenger BB's between '66-70 or so.

You can get all the other pieces from Zips and Paragon, but some guys think it's a bit expensive to pay $15 for a piece of foam. I paid the price since I usally don't have time to shop for foam!:D

l-88_filter_installed.jpg

I would like to tag on to Chris' initial discussion. After doing all the underhood work to my '73 (non-L88 hood), I had no clearance for the cowl ring. The aircleaner would fit, but the cowl ring was too high for the hood. So, I have this huge two snorkle base with the 10" K&N and top sittin in it and it looks kinda funky. I also have trouble clearing some of my ignition components. I tried one of those really slick Holley Hi-Tek (dual side draft looking) air cleaners and it hit the hood too. Has anybody fabricated a really slick (not your run of the mill circular) air cleaner that I could get pictures of. Or do you guys know of something else I might look into. I'm kinda stumped here.

Well I have some new news, don't know if it is bad or good yet.

Thanks for all the input.

My dimensions are a tad off the "stock" height so I would have problems getting the stock style to fit.

I was directed to a tractor trailer, trailer manufacturing plant today (Great Dane). They had all kinds of rubber products in stock for sealing up semi truck trailers and air conditioned trailers.

He hooked me up with a total of 16' of two styles of weather strip for freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

I stopped by the speed shop for some other ideas, and ended up in the hardward store. I was able to buy a panel of meshed steel in 1/2" by 18 gauge. I will look into getting a chrome 5 or 6" air cleaner assembly, and using only the lid and hold down screw. I will fabricate the metal mesh so it is as high as possible to go around the fuel injection head and under the 5-6" lid.

If this works, I will have pulled it off. If not, back to the drawing board.

So far, I am under $50, so let's see if I can keep it that cheap!

Sounds like you are building your own version of the original L88 defuser for a fraction of repop price. Good going Chris. Can't waite to see the pics.
Tom

Progress?

Okay, the weatherstrip worked PERFECT!!!!!!!!! I have been looking very close at the L88 stock unit. It has a miniature lid over the butterflies that I assume protects the hood from back fires, etc, and stopping stuff from falling in. However, it also looks like an air restriction.

Here is what I did. I cut a 16"x16" aluminum sheet and backed it with thin adhesive foam and stuffed it into the hood scoop. I then put a rubber gasket on the bottom side of the hood chamber where the air filter rests. I stuffed the air filter in (tight fit).

On the drop down base, I took a 5/16" thick walled tube and drilled and tapped each end to accept a 1/4" stainless bolt. I flattened the center and drilled it to match the air horn air filter stud hole.

I will be looking for a temp cover to throw over the air horn to keep debris from getting in and at car shows (something cool looking?)

Here are some pics of the rough finished product.

Here is a close up of the hood. You can see the aluminum plate in there. This should protect the hood from any backfire/heat coming out of the air horn (plus it looks cool!)

Close up of the base unit. You can see the custom round 5/16" hold down to secure it in place.

BTW, I fired it up like this with the hood closed. It makes a wicked sucking wishing sound from between the hood and windshield:_rock

Looking good Chris! Question for you: As you know I'm trying to make the Air Induction on the Camaro functional and also seek the foam. Did Wells have it when you where checking?

Ls1smlblck said:
Looking good Chris! Question for you: As you know I'm trying to make the Air Induction on the Camaro functional and also seek the foam. Did Wells have it when you where checking?

Nope. I have some extra, but I know you can get it from Great Dane on the West side of town. Great folks over there. It is a very industrial area, and you have to walk right into the back where they are building the cargo trailers.

Wells looked at me like I was insane. Said they don't have any idea where people are getting foam from for these kinds of things. Even the little hottie in there had no idea this time.

Don't even bother with the local a/c installers, contractors, and suppliers. You talk about a one sided telephone conversation. "So, let me get this straight, you are looking for some heavy duty foam rubber for your car? Son, you need to call an automotive place, we don't have any automotive parts here."

Ok, How much do you have left? I need a least enough to put around the 14 inch cleaner. Shoot me an e-mail. :)

Yep, got enough for a 14" air cleaner. Just get with me. You need to come out and see the car anyway.

Very good looking job Chris, it's nice a clean (no bolts showing)
Paul

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom