Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! cross member for convertable 1987 corvette.

D

dudeboy

Hellow all, I am new here but here goes, I am trying to change my fuel filter on a 1987 convertable. that car comes with a cross member to hold twisting down, it bolts at the chasi that also mounts the fuel filter,there is two bolts to the bracket to frame. one bolt came out fine, the other one is spinning so I cant hold the nut to remove it.This nut is a blind nut that screws tight on installation, this one didnt,(this is factory install) there is no way I can see to hold the nut to unscrew it. I am sure sombody else encountred this situation before, if someone did and could let ne know how to remove it, I would be indebeted to you forever. Thanks Larry

You are going to have to torch the head of the bolt off to remove the brace. Once it is off you may and I say may be able to replace the blind nut. If not, you can drill the hole in the frame large enough to weld in a nut to replace the bad one. Good luck.

If you are not experienced in that type of chassis repair and/or you do not have the ability to "torch off" the bolt head, I'd take the car to a body and frame shop and let them remove the x-brace and repair/replace the nut insert in the frame.

Take the car back home, change the fuel filter then reinstall the X-braces.

Good luck.

fuel filter

I have tried everything with no luck trying to get the bolt off. I had thought of torching it off, from your responce , I was heading in the right direction, you guys confirmed what I thought a long time ago. I thank you for the information , now I will proceed with the torch.Having a great day, Larry AKA dudeboy

Two of the rear ones were stipped on my '87 vert. I cut the heads off with a 4.5" grinder, cut a 2" hole in the inner fender, welded in replacement square nuts from inside the hole, then welded up the hole and ground it smooth. A little semi gloss and you'd never know I was in there.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom