Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

crossed over to C5

baxsom

Corvette
72 454 convertible, 2000 C5 Z51
Up until now I have always hung out in the C3 section trying to keep this one on the road.
vett1.jpg

Today I brought this one home to add to the headache:D

IMG_3348.jpg

The hard part is going to be seeing how long I go before I start doing anything to it.

Like yourself I went from a C3 (money pit) to a new 03 and it was a breath of fresh air .Don't get me wrong I enjoyed my 69 but with almost 300,000 miles I no longer wanted to take long road trips I enjoyed so much.

C5's are great cars

Congratulations on the C5 purchase!! Like you, we used to have a '74 roadster...beautiful but untrustworthy on trips. We went from that '74 to a new '02 (which we still have). Although I have a 2005, our favorite is the C5!! You'll love it.

Elaine

I love my 72 but it is definitely not a "trip" car. It is perfect for cruising along the coast (I live at Cocoa Beach) with the top down but I would in no way want to take it cross country.

I just dropped a new crate motor and tranny into the 72 plus rebuilt the brakes, rear end, power steering system etc. Money pit is good term.

Congrats! You'll love the C5!

:upthumbs

Congrats on the C5 purchase.....they are a very refined sports car. It would be hard to beat the C5 with anything else in it's price range.

I'll add my congrats as well. I moved up to the C5 from a C4 and the differences were marked... I'm sure the change from C3 to C5 is astounding.

If I were lucky enough to own two, a 72-454 and a C5 would be near perfect examples. Though my heart belongs to the Midyears, there's just something about a chrome bumper convertible!:upthumbs

And as I'm surprised vett boy didn't say it, I'll mention good guys drive white.

Enjoy them both!
:wJane Ann

In my 50+ years of owning Corvettes, my first C5 was the best one I ever owned, then I got a C6 and WOW. Still, I purchased a C5 Z06 as my third Corvette and love it. For the money, the C5 is a great car as will be the C6s when they drop in price. For the record, I will not go back to the C1 thru C4 Corvettes again, although in their day they were terrific. What you'll love about the C5 is that there are less parts to go bad. But as with almost all Corvettes, they are expensive to maintain if you don't do the work yourself. But I have had very few maintenance problems and I don't mod my Corvettes.
Barrett

And as I'm surprised vett boy didn't say it, I'll mention good guys drive white.

Enjoy them both!
:wJane Ann
Good guys drive white ;) I've also desired a black vett ,something that I could drive for an hour and detail for six hours .

Never met anyone from San Antonio that I didn't like ,what a magnificent city to cruise in .:thumb

Congrats on the new ride. Dont forget to fire up the 72 once in a while and blow the cobs out it:beer

Congrats on the new ride. I went from a C4 to a C5 just last month.
You will love it!! Enjoy your ride!

Paul:w

Congrats on the c5. I sold my mint 81 c3 in September and took possesion of a great 00 c5 loaded,and it is definately a car I would not be afraid to drive anywhere. The difference between the c3 and c5 is amazing. Cant wait for Spring.

Ken

Congrats on the new ride. Dont forget to fire up the 72 once in a while and blow the cobs out it:beer
Ha, funny you mention that. I took it out today just so it wouldnt be jealous.

The power difference is amazing. The 72 has a 454HO rated at 440hp/500 lb-ft. It is just raw unrefined hp. Even though my C5 is down by a hundred hp over the 72 you can just feel the refinement. Linear response is amazing. I have noticed that the power just comes on manageable and controllable. On the 72 when you kick in the throttle, The entire car moves and shakes as the suspension struggles to keep the car under control. The C5 feels like it is way down on power comparatively until you look at the speedometer.

Now I just wish some of the abundant hp would rub off on the little 289 in my mustang.

Attachments

• 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 79
... The C5 feels like it is way down on power comparatively until you look at the speedometer...

That was my first impression too. I started describing the C5 as "deceptively fast:" you don't know how fast you're really going until you look at the speedometer.

Ha, funny you mention that. I took it out today just so it wouldnt be jealous.

The power difference is amazing. The 72 has a 454HO rated at 440hp/500 lb-ft. It is just raw unrefined hp. Even though my C5 is down by a hundred hp over the 72 you can just feel the refinement. Linear response is amazing. I have noticed that the power just comes on manageable and controllable. On the 72 when you kick in the throttle, The entire car moves and shakes as the suspension struggles to keep the car under control. The C5 feels like it is way down on power comparatively until you look at the speedometer.

Now I just wish some of the abundant hp would rub off on the little 289 in my mustang.

Nice '68. That was my first car. Loved it. I'll always have a place in my heart for Mustangs.

Same here. Went from a '74 which I really loved the looks of. Unfortunately it just sat around most of the time for a lot of reasons. Finally decided to sell it and buy a Z. Totally different car. I drive that one a lot more and love every minute of it. Picture below just before I sold the '74.

resized 74 and 03.jpg

Congrats and welcome...you will love it, we all do, but then again we all own C5's! :thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom