Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Crossfire injection problems

Corvette
Hello,
I have a 1982 Corvette. I have been trying to get this vehicle running correctly. I have replaced everything! I have had three different mechanics work on it. It now starts immediately and idles smoothly, but after a minute or two will die. This did not happen ever before today. When I drive it, it will die, no matter what speed - 35mph or 65 mph. When it dies it just dies, no spitting or sputtering. I just restart it and continue on my way. It will die again and even misfire after spending many hours tuning and timing it. Like I said, I have replace absolutely everything! Why won't it run? Could it be a bad ECM? I had Cardone rebuild it as well as putting in a new chip from Summit Racing. The only thing I can think of is it is a ECM for a 1984 GM vehicle, but the chip is for a Corvette. I don't know what to do. At this point none of us have a clue. Is there someone out there that knows crossfire injection engines inside and out? :W

I know very little about Crossfire Injections but there are a few on here that do. One thing I know is that to switch to an 84 ECM you must use the one for an automatic '84. The one for the 4+3 stick trans will cause problems with idle and other things. There has been a lot of conversation over the years about this on the Crossfire Injectioin Mine Forum. Read through some of those threads and see if you can find an answer. Kane is very sharp with these systems.

Tom

Hi there!
So... let’s start with the basics.

Are there any codes?

Thanks for the info. I had Cardone rebuild the ECM and told them my car was an automatic, but I do not know if the tranny was auto or manual with the original car that this ECM came from. I will try to look into it.

Initially my OBDI was working, but now it has stopped. Originally the only codes were 12 and 13. 12 is nothing and I believe 13 was dealing with an O2 sensor, which I replaced with everything else. And I mean I've replaced everything: plugs, wires, ignition module (twice), ignition coil, distributor cap and rotor, pick up coil, injectors, both IACs, TPS, Map sensor, and even the fuel filter. It still won't run right. It dies as if something is wrong electronically, plus the idle runs high and goes up and down after driving it for a short time. I have no clue what else to try? It is timed and tuned perfectly.

Initially my OBDI was working, but now it has stopped. Originally the only codes were 12 and 13. 12 is nothing and I believe 13 was dealing with an O2 sensor, which I replaced with everything else. And I mean I've replaced everything: plugs, wires, ignition module (twice), ignition coil, distributor cap and rotor, pick up coil, injectors, both IACs, TPS, Map sensor, and even the fuel filter. It still won't run right. It dies as if something is wrong electronically, plus the idle runs high and goes up and down after driving it for a short time. I have no clue what else to try? It is timed and tuned perfectly.

Have you replaced the coolant sensor?

The coolant sensor (front of the intake) is used by the ECM to assist it in determining air mass and density.

You’d need to connect it to an OBD 1 scanner and see if the coolant temp is reading correctly and giving the right signal to the ECM.

I have replaced the engine coolant temp sensor. My OBDI is not working even though it was working last fall. I don't know why it stopped. I will check the fuses again. I did speak with someone at Summit Racing and he definitely said having a 1984 ECM with a 1984 PROM chip will reek havoc with my 1982 Corvette. I was told it wouldn't but now I believe it is. The problem is this I threw out my original ECM and I can't find an ECM for a 1982 Vette anywhere in the country. Nothing like spending more money! :) Any idea where I can find an ECM for my Vette that is in good shape and hasn't been sitting on some shelf for 20 years?

check contemporary corvettes,in Pa.they deal in wrecked corvettes.
at any rate unless someone is looking to scrap an 82,you may be SOL.
Is there someone who could reprogram yours????

Have you read this thread yet? 84 ECM

I have been asking questions and doing research. Apparently, the ECM back then didn't possess too much computing power or programming ability. Apparently, the programming is mostly in the PROM chip not the ECM itself. I didn't realize that. Another tech at a Chevy dealership here in Minneapolis told me that I should try to buy a PROM chip for a 1982 Corvette even though my ECM is from a 1984 GM vehicle and see how my vehicle runs. Another friend told me to check my relays. Well, I watch a video on youtube.com about replacing the fuel pump relay. It's location is in the space behind the driver's seat behind the ECM behind a metal plate. So when I get my ECM back from Cardone, which I sent back to Cardone just to check it over, I will replace the PROM chip with a 1982 chip and a new relay. I'm hopeful that will resolve the issue. I'll let you know in a couple weeks. :)

Steve

Hello,
I have a 1982 Corvette. I have been trying to get this vehicle running correctly. I have replaced everything! I have had three different mechanics work on it. It now starts immediately and idles smoothly, but after a minute or two will die. This did not happen ever before today. When I drive it, it will die, no matter what speed - 35mph or 65 mph. When it dies it just dies, no spitting or sputtering. I just restart it and continue on my way. It will die again and even misfire after spending many hours tuning and timing it. Like I said, I have replace absolutely everything! Why won't it run? Could it be a bad ECM? I had Cardone rebuild it as well as putting in a new chip from Summit Racing. The only thing I can think of is it is a ECM for a 1984 GM vehicle, but the chip is for a Corvette. I don't know what to do. At this point none of us have a clue. Is there someone out there that knows crossfire injection engines inside and out? :W
Check camshaft. There was a problem with soft metal in camshafts on 82s. I had to replace mine. Remove valve covers with engine running. Check to see if all rocker arms are moving, or are not moving as much as others. I replaced mine with an other than “stock” camshaft that moved the power curve more toward bottom end to improve lower end acceleration. I’m glad I did that. Good luck.

I have been asking questions and doing research. Apparently, the ECM back then didn't possess too much computing power or programming ability. Apparently, the programming is mostly in the PROM chip not the ECM itself. I didn't realize that. Another tech at a Chevy dealership here in Minneapolis told me that I should try to buy a PROM chip for a 1982 Corvette even though my ECM is from a 1984 GM vehicle and see how my vehicle runs. Another friend told me to check my relays. Well, I watch a video on youtube.com about replacing the fuel pump relay. It's location is in the space behind the driver's seat behind the ECM behind a metal plate. So when I get my ECM back from Cardone, which I sent back to Cardone just to check it over, I will replace the PROM chip with a 1982 chip and a new relay. I'm hopeful that will resolve the issue. I'll let you know in a couple weeks. :)

Steve
I replaced the prom chip in my ‘82 with a “Hyper Chip”. Picked up performance really well.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom